Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field Tripod for Horseman 8x10

Field Tripod for Horseman 8x10

I have a Horseman 8x10. The big one with the heavy L arms. I'm in the middle of a modification to get rid of the rear L arm, which will shed about 12,000 pounds off the camera and turn it into something that can be used in the field. On another site I saw a 2006 post from a guy who got a surveyor's tripod new off ebay for $40 in 2006 money and put a Bogen 3047 head on it, claiming it was very sturdy. He is no longer there to answer any questions. Like how to attach tripod head like that to it. And which tripod? If he could do it in 2006, then surely I can find the things to do it now. I am in no position to spend a pile of money. He said it was sturdy enough for any camera. Can anybody help? Thank you.

Foamer

Re: Field Tripod for Horseman 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    I have a Horseman 8x10. The big one with the heavy L arms. I'm in the middle of a modification to get rid of the rear L arm, which will shed about 12,000 pounds off the camera and turn it into something that can be used in the field. On another site I saw a 2006 post from a guy who got a surveyor's tripod new off ebay for $40 in 2006 money and put a Bogen 3047 head on it, claiming it was very sturdy. He is no longer there to answer any questions. Like how to attach tripod head like that to it. And which tripod? If he could do it in 2006, then surely I can find the things to do it now. I am in no position to spend a pile of money. He said it was sturdy enough for any camera. Can anybody help? Thank you.

Going cheap on a tripod, especially for something as vibration prone as 8x10, is a big mistake.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

When I looked at surveyors tripods, most seemed to have a 5/8-16 threaded bolt to mount a head/camera/surveying equipment on top. Most camera gear uses either 3/8-16 or 1/4-20, so you’ll either need to replace the mounting hardware or find something to adapt the 5/8-16 to 3/8-16. If you have a heavy 8x10, I wouldn’t use a Bogen 3047, which can barely manage a lightweight 8x10. I mount my 8x10 to a wooden tripod with only a leveling ball to minimize the leverage.

The Bosch BT160 should do the trick. Buy a bolt with the right thread long enough to reach through a 4" or 100mm and 1/8" or 3mm thick aluminium circle. I did found them both on ebay from USA, then came the trouble of a "free" Majestic head that did not like the big, flat circle with hole to big for the 1.5" aluminium bar. I can get a lathe from my father and I have room, but 1.5 ton.........

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

There is a great tripod in the for sale section now. But its a pile of money. Of course if you buy a great tripod once you will never need to buy one again. Imagine if we could get life expectancy out of our Cars and house hold machinery like HVAC units.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I have that same camera...well, not the EXACT same one, but on just like it. Great camera, but heavy. The lightest tripod I own that handles it reasonably well is a Berlebach 3042. According to Berlebach's specs, this camera is just outside of the weight range, but I've got an old Gitzo Rationale #3 head mounted on the tripod and it's worked fine.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    T...house hold machinery like HVAC units...
    No kidding. The furnace repair man just left my house an hour ago. A 2-year old Goodman furnace blew its inducer motor (whatever the #$%## THAT is). We had to wait four days to get the part in, partly because of the weekend. Then, since Goodman doesn't cover labor under their warranty, I had to pay $160.00 for the service call.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Drew Wiley

Forty bucks ain't bad for a beat up old survey tripod on the used market. But a forty buck new one will be a joke - most likely a Chinese knockoff with slipping legs and hardware that quickly fails. A high quality wooden fiberglass-clad tripod of sufficient strength is more likely to run around $200, if you can even find one. Bergger makes them, but also imports lesser quality equivalents, so you have to know which models are which. It's easy to convert survey tripods for camera use - just switch out the 5/8-11 turnbolt below the platform head with a captured 3/6-16 one.

No - don't go for some import piece of flimsy aluminum crap like that Bosch BT160. Get real wood. Those cheap aluminum things are intended as freebie add ons to relatively cheapo laser level packages. And I'm speaking from the standpoint of, prior to my retirement, one of the largest Bosch distributors in the country. And the reason they don't even offer a high-quality survey tripod of their own is that they simply don't need to - they now outright own CST Bergger USA itself as a separate division, and Bosch dealers can buy those items, including reputable US-made tripods, on the same purchase order if desired.

Spending 200 bucks on a decent clad wooden survey tripod is still quite a bargain compared to $600 or more for a comparable duty Ries wooden camera tripod. But a Ries is a Ries is a Ries, and well worth the extra money if you can afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    No kidding. The furnace repair man just left my house an hour ago. A 2-year old Goodman furnace blew its inducer motor (whatever the #$%## THAT is). We had to wait four days to get the part in, partly because of the weekend. Then, since Goodman doesn't cover labor under their warranty, I had to pay $160.00 for the service call.
    The service call WAS free. They charged for gas to go up your driveway.

As the OP, I am grateful for these suggestions and welcome more. I might interject by discussing what I had been using with the camera when it still had it's heavy rear L-arm. A Leitz Tiltall. It's all I had. I'm employed now at the rate of $17 an hour. I'm rich in comparison to those days. But still in no position to buy something really nice. Sometimes I actually used it on that Tiltall with the center post way up, because I am 6'4"". And believe me, I truly wondered if the tripod head was going to snap off. It was a fully loaded dump truck atop a dead tree branch. You use what you have to, with the means you have. I don't mind waiting for the camera to quit swaying a bit after loading the film holder and cocking the shutter. But that Tiltall needs to be put in the past with this camera, even with the removal of the rear L-arm. Or else an 8x10 camera I can't afford to replace is going to be lying on the ground smashed, with 1/2 a tripod still connected.