Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field Tripod for Horseman 8x10

Re: Field Tripod for Horseman 8x10

Having a limited budget requires longterm planning and saving. A Bogen/Manfrotto Aluminum 3021 tripod is pretty stable even with the center column raised. Weighs about 6 pounds without a head, is rated at 13lbs capacity, height is around 5 feet without center column extended. Can be found used on ebay for less than $100. Watch your local FB marketplace for tripods too.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Lascassas, TN

Here is the adaptation I did:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...od-conversion/

This was for a 4x5 but the idea should work. The article is posted on the LF Home Page.
    Bill Kumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kumpf View Post
    Here is the adaptation I did:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...od-conversion/

This was for a 4x5 but the idea should work. The article is posted on the LF Home Page.
    Thank you. It would be nice to kow the name of the tripod or one of like kind. Since that 4x5 looks a little puny on it, I'm truing to picture my weight-modified horseman on it. Looks like it might be OK. Of course there's no center column that can be raised up. Wonder how tall it is.

Lascassas, TN

I had my Calumet C1 (8x10) on it around the house. The C1 was too heavy for me to use in the field. This one was a CST/Berger. I did add a rope to tie the legs in place. On hard surfaces the legs spikes can slide. I sold my 8x10 outfit with this tripod and an Majestic tripod.

Check the reviews on the tripod. Some times there are used ones available.

Good Luck
    Bill Kumpf

I also have a Calumet C-1 8x10 - I do take it into the field. Most exposures are well over 1 second long. Vibration control and depth of field are my 2 most critical issues. I have used 2 Gitzo tripods, and have a vibration brace I use as well. It depends on how long the shutter speed is. If it is 1/30th of a second no problem - it is is 15 or 20 seconds - vibration control is a big issue. I have found that the tripod to camera connection is the weakest point for vibration - it needs to be triangulated or have
    a really massive tripod head. No head is much better - but the connection to the top of tripod legs is still very weak.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

For Toyo 4x5 Robos and 8x10G monorails I use a Manfrotto 475B with Manfrootto 329RC4 pan/tilt head. The Robos weight is 12lbs and the 810G's is 19 lbs without lenses. The max load rating of the 475B is 26.5lbs and the 19lbs for the 329RC4. This tripod is heavy (9.5lbs) but very sturdy when set-up correctly with all locks tightened and both screws in the slot on the QL plate. Here is a recent shot of it while using the Robos:

[url]

I am of average height and can spread the legs out for added stability without having to use the geared center column. I also use the 475B for observing with 16X70 Fujinon FMT-SX Polaris using a parallelogram mount (12.6lbs) and 35mm and 6x7 photography using the Manfrotto Gimbal head. Again, this is a heavy tripod and I only use it for locations that are close to the car and within reasonable dolly range. For backpacking (limited) with a Toyo 810MII field camera (15lbs), I use a Gitzo G1349 with arca swiss BP head and arca tech leveling head.

Thomas

No center column if possible, no need for a center column as they are a point of instability and problems. Do NOT simply set up the tripod to the height/position that is default easy-comfy height. This is the most common Foto composition mistake. Camera position and height has a very strong influence on composition and how the image is rendered.

There are times when the tripod/camera position must be very high or very low or at eye level or etc.. Best to know where the camera position must be and lens focal length before setting up the camera/tripod.

Tripod or similar camera support Must accommodate the needs of camera position/lens choice on camera with absolute stability and vibration control.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    Thank you. It would be nice to kow the name of the tripod or one of like kind. Since that 4x5 looks a little puny on it, I'm truing to picture my weight-modified horseman on it. Looks like it might be OK. Of course there's no center column that can be raised up. Wonder how tall it is.

There’s always “The Best Damn Tripod in the World.” The Zone Vi. I trekked the Florida swamps and forests with one and my C1.

Drew Wiley

The Zone VI was just a half-baked converted so-so survey tripod. I gave mine away and replaced it with the real deal, a Ries. The legs on that ZVI literally froze up in cold wet weather, the top delaminated and had to be replaced, and all the hardware rusted. But I've nearly committed a felony by even mentioning the ZVI in the same sentence as a Ries. Certainly not one of the better items Fred Picker came up with.