Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightleak: from where + what to do?

Lightleak: from where + what to do?

Hello everyone, I know this is a large format forum, and I do photograph LF, but also MF. My Q now concerns recent problems with my HB 503. Lightleaks. Have not had them before. Developed 2 films today, and of these 24 pics, I have less than a handful without these light leaks (the first 2-3 on the film, attached in CS1). Last time I used the camera, a couple of months ago, I had only a couple of pics with this and thought it was flare (CS2). I am new at developing film myself - but I presume that if I did something wrong with the transfer of film to the tank or handling of the tank or if the tent leaks all of a sudden, all pictures would have been completely ruined.
    Facts: HB 503CW, TMAX 100 film, TMAX developer, Paterson tank (first time I used this tank).
    Any ideas where the problem lies? Or should I simply send it for repairs?
    Greetings from The Hague.
    Anette
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CS1 Sthlm.jpg   CS2 Nkoping.jpg  

Re: Lightleak: from where + what to do?

Looks to me as though it was hit with a light leak in the tank, right down the center of the reel. Inspect the light seal in the lid of the tank you used.

HB is Hasselblad? In that case your dark slide comes in from the same side as your light leak. Might want to check there.

Place to order light trap seals for Hasselblad:

https://dickwernerhassystore.com/

I got these light leaks in two of my Hassy film backs, had um fixed and sold the camera. Bought a LF camera and never looked back.

Haven’t had light leaks. I use the dark slide only when changing backs, otherwise I leave them out so as not to compress the gasket, which can cause light leaks. Some of my Hasselblad cameras go back to the 1960’s.

Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Haven’t had light leaks. I use the dark slide only when changing backs, otherwise I leave them out so as not to compress the gasket, which can cause light leaks. Some of my Hasselblad cameras go back to the 1960’s.
    Neat idea. I think I'll replace mine and try your method.

A bit primitive...but you can also try (after removing the dark slide) wrapping black electrical tape around the entire circumference of a Hasselblad back - covering the joint between the back and camera body.

Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    That's exactly what I do as well. Gone is the need to replace the traps every 12-18 months.

But the dark slide also locks the shutter release, right? I guess you just take the chance of an errant exposure; or, alternately, you only wind on the next exposure when you're ready to shoot. I have two backs I have been using for years with the dark slides in and out multiple times a day. Having heard of this issue, I bought replacement seals to have on hand years ago, but have never had to use them. Not sure why. I've had plenty of body issues, but backs? Not yet.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."