Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: arca swiss F metric 5x7?

Re: arca swiss F metric 5x7?

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    He attaches an Arca dovetail to the bottom of the ground glass frame and the whole thing slips into the existing Arca 'function carrier' no problem at all.
    I did the same thing to attach a Sinar 4x5 back to my Arca M2. (Dovetail plate marked with arrow.) Since the rise/shift is on the function carrier, that movement is preserved. The same could be done with a Sinar 5x7 back, with reduced rise/fall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB_ArcaSinarBack.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	221235 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB_ArcaSinarSide.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	221236

At least the German distributor List a 5x7 "format change kit" for the Classic and Metric cameras and als just all the spare parts alone

https://www.arca-shop.de/en/cameras/...atsets-f-line/

Appears to be available at significant cost:

Name:	Arca Swiss 5x7 convert..jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	221237

As with any of this camera stuff, consider cost -vs- value -vs- functionally_durability_quality of build, and all that.

Cost of these Arca Swiss bits are likely driven by their extremely low production volume, quality of design, construction and materials (Arca Swiss stuff is excellent).

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by BLATT LAB View Post
    At least the German distributor List a 5x7 "format change kit" for the Classic and Metric cameras and als just all the spare parts alone

https://www.arca-shop.de/en/cameras/...atsets-f-line/

Nice illustration of what can be done with a modular view camera. It would not be that difficult to take a Sinar 5x7 rear frame carrier then mill off the bottom casting then add the Arca Swiss dove tail allowing the Sinar frame to fit as it should on the Arca Swiss carrier.

Add a modified Sinar 5x7 bellows (tapered or bag) with an Arca Swiss front, done.

This could be easier and more cost effective than trying to get an OEM Arca Swiss 5x7 conversion set.

BTW, the folks at Arca Swiss was involved with the Sinar (Carl Koch) early on as Koch needed a means to fabricate the modular view camera design, it was the folks at Arca Swiss that help Koch and Sinar get started. Previously discussed:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Sinar-history

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    I did the same thing to attach a Sinar 4x5 back to my Arca M2. (Dovetail plate marked with arrow.) Since the rise/shift is on the function carrier, that movement is preserved. The same could be done with a Sinar 5x7 back, with reduced rise/fall.

Name:	AB_ArcaSinarBack.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	221235 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB_ArcaSinarSide.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	221236

Arca-Swiss

After selling very few 5x7 cameras over the last 10 years, Arca-Swiss decided to drop the 5x7 from the line. I sold the last camera and the last bellows and ground glass about 3 years ago. As noted above, Keith Canham does a nice and compatible 5x7 format kit, but even these are limited going forward, so get in soon if you would like one.
    We have had a few people inquire over the years about 5x7, but less often solid orders. It is an elegant format, but needs serious buyers to support manufacture, as making one-offs is now quite expensive. To come with a camera at a price that people would entertain, we would have to purchase at least about 100 frames, to use one part example, and at the sales figures over the last 20 years it would be into the next century before we would sell out, if then.
    And at say 20 or 30 frames the price for just that would be 4-5 times higher.
    A small manufacturer, can do these in small batches, and especially in wood, could make them more readily.

Hope this clarifies the issue a bit.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Drew Wiley

Making dies themselves for sake of serious metal components is extremely expensive. CNC aluminum fabricating is far cheaper, but doesn't produce the same durability or precision. Wood fabrication can be potentially custom tweaked by anyone with relevant shop skills and cabinet-shop style equipment, even me. But in any option, in terms of practicality, the less often machine settings and templates and so forth need to be reset or recalibrated, the more realistic it is to hold expense in line.