Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Filters Lee100 System

Re: Lee Filters Lee100 System

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi_r View Post
    The Lee100 system is quite old. They have upgraded the holder, but the other components are the same. The Hood it's new too. I use it with all my lenses. I use the wide angle hood even without filters
    Lee100 was introduced in 2019 and is a revision of the "Lee Foundation" system that you use. I think that the revision updated everything, although that mostly comes down to the Holder and the Hood, except the Lee Adapter Rings and the actual Lee filters.

Re your comment "I use the wide angle hood even without filters".... I have an Arca-Swiss compendium shade, but I'm interested to see how well the Lee100 Hood functions in comparison. The Hood is the one component of my Lee100 setup that is new. I expect to receive it today. It's the main reason why I'm doing tests this weekend.

I have a 90mm Nikkor f/4.5 lens with a center filter that is 105mm making filters and filter systems quite expensive. I haven't made the plunge and probably never will. So If I need a filter, I switch to my 75mm lens which can use my existing 77mm filters and Cokin kit with adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    This is the system that I've been using. I didn't realize that it's introduction was a recent as 2017...

It was interesting to see the demonstration using both a graduated nd together with the round polarizer.
    The Lee100 System was launched in March 2019. The ProGlass IRND filters were released in 2017.

Sounds like you're talking about Mark Bauer's video (post #5). Starting at 04:37 he uses a Lee round polariser and a Lee 2-stop medium graduated neutral density filter as a base to show the effect of 2-stop, 4-stop, 6-stop, 10-stop and 15-stop ProGlass IRND filters.

As someone who shoots video, the main reasons that I went with the Lee100 system were the small footprint, compared to a matte box and filter trays, of the Lee100 Holder, and the high quality of the ProGlass IRND filters. This decision was also cost-effective. Having now used ProGlass filters for about 18 months, I think that they are well worth the cost, and they do come up second-hand occasionally. Personally, I have no need for 10-stop or 15-stop ND. However, up to 6-stop is essential for video except in controlled lighting, and I've learned that ND filters can be very useful for still photography.
    Last edited by r.e.; 12-Nov-2021 at 04:59.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Lens > Screw-in Filter (e.g. Polariser, UV Filter) > Step-up Ring to 95mm Thread > Lee 95mm Standard Adapter Ring (there isn't a 95mm Wide Angle Ring) > Previous "Lee Foundation Holder" > Lee 100mm˛ Filter(s)
    To be precise it is :
    Lens > Step-up Ring to 95mm Thread > Screw-in Filter (e.g. Polariser, UV Filter) > Lee 95mm Standard Adapter Ring (there isn't a 95mm Wide Angle Ring) (now NiSi which extremely thin)> Previous "Lee Foundation Holder" (now NiSi) > Lee 100mm˛ Filter(s)

I like fewer things to have and the 95mm polarizer is one-fits-all for me. Don't own any UVs.
    Yes, I have to set the angle or polarizer before I attach the holder . NiSi holder allows to rotate it around the adapter ring and then fix in desired position with an extra screw. And there are 3 filter slots on the NiSi.

I have the older wide angle bellows hood and it works pretty well, certainly better than most "regular" non-adjustable or non-self supporting hoods. I think there was also one that was less wide at the time and based on the later videos you linked to I guess these were both replaced with the updated hood for the newer system. Aside from the hood I never got into any Lee stuff so I can't say much else about the filters or system in general. At the time I was looking into hood options for the huge Schneider 90/72 XLs.

I still prefer the compendium, but it can be fiddly and sometimes it is just a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Lee100 was introduced in 2019 and is a revision of the "Lee Foundation" system that you use. I think that the revision updated everything, although that mostly comes down to the Holder and the Hood, except the Lee Adapter Rings and the actual Lee filters.

Re your comment "I use the wide angle hood even without filters".... I have an Arca-Swiss compendium shade, but I'm interested to see how well the Lee100 Hood functions in comparison. The Hood is the one component of my Lee100 setup that is new. I expect to receive it today. It's the main reason why I'm doing tests this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    To be precise it is :
    Lens > Step-up Ring to 95mm Thread > Screw-in Filter (e.g. Polariser, UV Filter) > Lee 95mm Standard Adapter Ring (there isn't a 95mm Wide Angle Ring) (now NiSi which extremely thin)> Previous "Lee Foundation Holder" (now NiSi) > Lee 100mm˛ Filter(s)

I like fewer things to have and the 95mm polarizer is one-fits-all for me. Don't own any UVs.
    Yes, I have to set the angle or polarizer before I attach the holder...
    For me, the use cases for this are limited. With the caveats in post #10, I'll probably try it anyway, just to see what happens. When it comes to screw-in filters, I'm mostly standardised to 82mm:

Lens > step-up ring to 82mm > 82mm screw-in filter > Lee 82mm Wide Angle Adapter Ring (there is an 82mm Wide Angle Adapter, which I have) > Lee100 Holder > Lee Filter(s) > Lee Hood

I'm skeptical about this working with a wide angle lens and the Lee Hood, but it might work with a normal to long lens.
    Last edited by r.e.; 12-Nov-2021 at 04:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have a 90mm Nikkor f/4.5 lens with a center filter that is 105mm making filters and filter systems quite expensive.
    I use the same but with no CF.
    Step up from 82mm to 95mm , optional 95mm polarizer , 100mm Lee filters

The Lee100 Hood, the component that's new to my Lee100 setup, arrived this afternoon.

Comes in a decent storage/transport case that opens and closes with two zippers.

Dimensions: 21.5cm x 17.5cm (8.5" x 6.9") including a ~11mm (.43") wide frame. Maximum extension from the front of the Lee100 Holder, to which one attaches the Hood, is about 14cm (5.5").

The four pleated sides can be shaped. I'm told not to worry that their ability to hold a shape will wane over time.

Tests and photos this weekend.

David Noton's video (post #2) shows the Hood in use. This brief video shows how it connects to the Lee100 Holder:

LEE Filters - Fitting the LEE100 Hood

Here are some photos of the Lee100 Hood, split over two posts due to forum limits.

1. Lee Filters photo showing the Hood's features

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lee100 hood.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	221238

The rest are iPhone photos.

2. Hood in storage/transport case

Name:	Lee100 Hood Case.jpg 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	221239

3. Hood in the open case

Name:	Lee100 Hood Case Open.jpg 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	221240

4. Hood rear

This photo shows the back of the Hood and the Attachment Ring discussed in the video in post #18. The Attachment Ring connects the Hood to the Lee100 Filter Holder.

Name:	Lee100 Hood Rear.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	221241

Lee100 Hood photos, continued from the above post...

5. Hood and the Attachment Ring, Hood side

This shows the Hood side of the Attachment Ring.

Name:	Lee100 Hood Hood Side.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	221242

6. Hood and the Attachment Ring, Lee Filter Holder side

This shows the Holder side of the Attachment Ring.

Name:	Lee100 Hood Holder Side.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	221243

7. Hood extended

Name:	Lee100 Hoofd Expanded.jpg 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	221244