Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Wall's New Show in Washington, DC

Re: Jeff Wall's New Show in Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Similer to Crewdson, maybe less dramatic and less dramatically lit. But they both still use film, much to my surprise. I don't know if film is used throughout, or only to capture the original scene. I would think digital would be more appropriate for the number of possible manipulations and the lack of needing to make multiple generations before reaching a transparency or print that size. I guess I need to do some more research into both their technique. I know Salgado makes his photos today with a digital camera, but then converts to film for the final large prints.
    Why does Salgado do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I gather he likes the look and grain of silver gelatin prints, and so he can show them alongside older prints originally shot on film.

I saw this exhibit and found it very interesting. Particularly the printing of such large pieces. It takes a lot of effort to construct the messaging in his photographs and he was working within the constraints of technology at the time, and showing your work this large really opens it up to show any flaws in your work that might be overlooked if they were printed smaller. Glenstone does not exhibit photography that often so I would definitely recommend taking in the exhibit if you can.

r.e. - In response to your question, the grounds themselves (to me) are worth a trip themselves.

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Salgado uses a digital because of the Airport X rays, He has his techs run a photoshop settings to duplicate Tri X as near as possible.

I believe the growing hassle of travelling with likely hundreds, if not thousands of rolls of film became too much to deal with, hence Salgado's switch to digital afaik. Don't blame him, even in the 80's, travelling with hundreds of rolls was a roll of dice, depending on how bad a day the airport screeners were having.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I ordered the catalogue from the exhibition and received it today. Printed in the U.S., it includes, as does the show, photographs from 1978 through 2018. It offers an overview of Wall's work and development over 40 years. Price for the book, with shipping to New York, was US$64.10. I ordered directly from the Glenstone Museum the second week of December, but apparently they had supply problems. If I understand the correspondence, orders made now should be filled much more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I ordered the catalogue from the exhibition and received it today. Printed in the U.S., it includes, as does the show, photographs from 1978 through 2018. It offers an overview of Wall's work and development over 40 years. Price for the book, with shipping to New York, was US$64.10. I ordered directly from the Glenstone Museum the second week of December, but apparently they had supply problems. If I understand the correspondence, orders made now should be filled much more quickly.
    If it's not much trouble, can you post a link, I can't seem to find their online shop, many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    If it's not much trouble, can you post a link, I can't seem to find their online shop, many thanks.
    Hi. Yes, Glenstone's site isn't the easiest to navigate. Publications are in the "About" section: https://www.glenstone.org/about/publications/

The site still says that the Wall catalogue is pre-order, but they have it now. It doesn't work like a normal online bookstore either. There's a link to a "Purchase Form", which you fill out and then they get back to you for billing and shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Hi. Yes, Glenstone's site isn't the easiest to navigate. Publications are in the "About" section: https://www.glenstone.org/about/publications/

The site still says that the Wall catalogue is pre-order, but they have it now. It doesn't work like a normal online bookstore either. There's a link to a "Purchase Form", which you fill out and then they get back to you for billing and shipping.
    Yeah, the site is almost too slick to have that kind of oversight, or for some reason it's intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Yeah, the site is almost too slick to have that kind of oversight, or for some reason it's intentional.
    Glenstone was a private museum and didn't open to the pubic until late 2018. My sense is that its bookstore is not really run like a business. Amazon, it ain't, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Last edited by r.e.; 20-Jan-2022 at 20:48.