Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting a speed graphic into an SLR

Re: Converting a speed graphic into an SLR

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    sounds like an interesting plan! I have several LF / SLR type cameras and sometimes the body that holds the mirror even when seated all the way up to the top of the box, well it clips the image, so keep in mind it might be necessary to maybe add a little height / width to the box.
    If I can ask, do you do street work? 'scape imagery / architectural or portrait sort of photographs?... and do you have a favorite f-stop ? I ask because there may be other ways in addition to what you are doing, to quickly focus and compose.

btw doll house mirrors are thin and can be trimmed with scissors and glued to anything..

good luck
    the mirror's most likely going to be a cut down dollar store mirror. very thin glass. won't have any supports apart from the hinge, bumpers in the mirror box for the front edge of the mirror to rest against and maybe some thin stiffeners along the sides. i've got plenty of room to work with above the light path. i shoot a bunch of stuff, but mostly models. i have considered every way available to me to focus, compose and take a photo and even created some new ones. this is my best option.

OP, I'm having trouble visualizing the camera design you're talking about. Please post a sketch.

I'm curious to see how this project transpires.
    I'm not quite clear on your design ideas.
    Would you please document the process with pics so we can see how it progresses?
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If you can’t be polite and stop writing like a jerk I will “get lost”. I’m okay with your tinkering effort… it’s just a long way to go for that goal. If you can’t afford or just don’t want to buy another camera that fits that need, I can respect that. I would like a Graflex SLR and won’t pay the price too.
    it's the shortest/best route available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Your suggestion makes too much sense if the real goal is to photograph with a LF SLR, I fear. LOL
    yeah, sounding real respectful here.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    the mirror's most likely going to be a cut down dollar store mirror.
    Don’t commercial SLRs use front-surface mirrors? I’ll be interested to hear how this works.

I am just a bit confused as to how a reflex mirror that is of suitable size to give off an image to fill a 4X5 ground glass (like my Graflex Series D RB) can fit inside a speed Graphic body...or am I not understanding the design? I suspect that I can't make a judgment until I see a sketch of the design.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

On a Graflex, most of the boxy body is the mirror box and is large... They only use longer focus lenses due to this...

You would be well informed by prototyping the mirror box, front lens extension, and FP placement in card or foam board to see the distances needed to get a lens to focus correctly, and work out the order of operations needed to operate camera functions on demand (in a timely fashion)...

A lotta hills and walls for this project... ;-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    OP, I'm having trouble visualizing the camera design you're talking about. Please post a sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    I'm curious to see how this project transpires.
    I'm not quite clear on your design ideas.
    Would you please document the process with pics so we can see how it progresses?
    Best of luck!
    no sketches yet, but i'll post some eventually. i usually do most of the design work in my head and save the sketching and 3d modeling for when i need to map out the exact measurements. just picture a slimmed down version of a graflex slr, except the back half and bottom is a pacemaker speed graphic and the bellows and front standard of the speed graphic are mounted to the front of the slr instead of being recessed inside a larger body.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    Don’t commercial SLRs use front-surface mirrors? I’ll be interested to hear how this works.
    i can live with a slight double image if i have to, or i could just strip the paint off the back of the mirror, or use a thicker front-surface mirror i've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I am just a bit confused as to how a reflex mirror that is of suitable size to give off an image to fill a 4X5 ground glass (like my Graflex Series D RB) can fit inside a speed Graphic body...or am I not understanding the design? I suspect that I can't make a judgment until I see a sketch of the design.
    with the rear 2" of the mirror box recessed into the body and the remaining 2-3" sticking out the front with the bellows in front of that. having to cover 4x5 instead of 5x5 and not having the lens and bellows on the inside makes it a lot smaller than an rb.