Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Converting a speed graphic into an SLR

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Converting a speed graphic into an SLR

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    The bed scale and range finder only work with 1 lens.
    That’s exactly right. Later Graphic rangefinders had different cams for different lenses, that made it more possible to be a convenient interchangeable lens camera. And it’s a lot easier, generally speaking, to have multiple infinity stops than multiple vernier focus scales. But even that’s not very convenient. Let’s face the reality… Graphics and Graflexes are best as single lens systems.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    That’s exactly right. Later Graphic rangefinders had different cams for different lenses, that made it more possible to be a convenient interchangeable lens camera. And it’s a lot easier, generally speaking, to have multiple infinity stops than multiple vernier focus scales. But even that’s not very convenient. Let’s face the reality… Graphics and Graflexes are best as single lens systems.
    couldn't agree more!

A tangent thought . . .but relavent:

The subject of range finder focusing and by implication hand held shooting has come up.

No one has yet brought up the Polaroid conversions to 4x5 format. Hand held by design and with focus coupled Leica-like combined range/view finder (and Conatx too of course).

Buy one off the shelf from e-Bay. Would also make a great DIY project.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    No one has yet brought up the Polaroid conversions to 4x5 format. Hand held by design and with focus coupled Leica-like combined range/view finder (and Conatx too of course).
    Again a single focal length system. And the OP wants to be able to change lenses while not having to fiddle with changing cams, reading different scales etc. When using "long" lenses he wants an SLR, focusing when looking at the GG and when using "wide" lenses he removes the mirror box and uses the GG at the back. I really can see where he wants to go. But...

Then I remember that we are talking 4x5 so at most he can use something like a Grafmatic and have 6 shots.

Somehow there are a lot of contradictions here. But then agian, anything that is an excuse to make it into a project is a valid one. I would be lying if I would say I do not have several sketches for 4x5 cameras on my pc.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Again a single focal length system. And the OP wants to be able to change lenses while not having to fiddle with changing cams, reading different scales etc. When using "long" lenses he wants an SLR, focusing when looking at the GG and when using "wide" lenses he removes the mirror box and uses the GG at the back. I really can see where he wants to go. But...

Then I remember that we are talking 4x5 so at most he can use something like a Grafmatic and have 6 shots.

Somehow there are a lot of contradictions here. But then agian, anything that is an excuse to make it into a project is a valid one. I would be lying if I would say I do not have several sketches for 4x5 cameras on my pc.
    yeah, i'm only interested in adding functionality to my current gear, not giving up it's current features for other features i'd like to have. i'd love to use an slr with wide lenses too, but i'll have to settle for a tlr at best with those. i'm not seeing any contradictions in anything i've said. you seem to be adding extra assumptions that may be leading to whatever contradictions you're perceiving. a grafmatic would only help if i was trying to take multiple shots really quickly. i couldn't care less about that. i want an slr solely to eliminate any delay and potential movement between composing/focusing the shot on the gg and actually taking the photo. if i can do those two things one right after the other, i have all the time in the world to load a film holder or wind the shutter, etc. without worrying about losing the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    i'm not seeing any contradictions in anything i've said. you seem to be adding extra assumptions that may be leading to whatever contradictions you're perceiving. a grafmatic would only help if i was trying to take multiple shots really quickly. i couldn't care less about that. i want an slr solely to eliminate any delay and potential movement between composing/focusing the shot on the gg and actually taking the photo. if i can do those two things one right after the other, i have all the time in the world to load a film holder or wind the shutter, etc. without worrying about losing the shot.
    If you don't have any problems taking the time between 2 shots, then what is wrong with a rangefinder? It would be even better as the delay between deciding to take the shot and taking it is smaller. You do not loose the time that the mirror needs to go up. If you're working with models you could even go for a faster synchronisation time with flash.

In case I would use an SLR I'd like not to loose the time to put in another film holder etc. I'd like a motorised film drive. Or I'd just put the lot in hyperfocal and be done. So yes I understand your spearate points. But the whole just doesn't come together. Then again, it is your project.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

If you don't have any problems taking the time between 2 shots, then what is wrong with a rangefinder? It would be even better as the delay between deciding to take the shot and taking it is smaller. You do not loose the time that the mirror needs to go up. If you're working with models you could even go for a faster synchronisation time with flash.

In case I would use an SLR I'd like not to loose the time to put in another film holder etc. I'd like a motorised film drive. Or I'd just put the lot in hyperfocal and be done. So yes I understand your spearate points. But the whole just doesn't come together. Then again, it is your project.
    This is what I was going to say. Focus with the RF, and learn to compensate for parallax using the optical viewfinder for composition. This worked fine for press photographers for decades. If you don't want to swap between the RF and VF, you could buy (or make) a Kalart Focuspot.

I used to use my Speed handheld with a wide open Aero Ektar focusing this way. It worked great.

OP seems really set on the idea of doing it their way though.

it takes longer to type "flip" than it does to flip the front edge of a little mirror up four inches while my other finger is already on the shutter trigger. with the rangefinder i'm limited to using a single lens, focusing on a single point at a time, then roughly composing my shot with the finder while who knows what happens to my focus. that's a shitty way to have to shoot. almost all my lenses are barrel lenses and i can still use the couple that have flash sync in the way you mention when the mirror box is removed. i could also add a flash sync to the mirror itself for a third option, so i'm not worried about flash sync.

Quote Originally Posted by ethics_gradient View Post
    This is what I was going to say. Focus with the RF, and learn to compensate for parallax using the optical viewfinder for composition. This worked fine for press photographers for decades. If you don't want to swap between the RF and VF, you could buy (or make) a Kalart Focuspot.

I used to use my Speed handheld with a wide open Aero Ektar focusing this way. It worked great.

OP seems really set on the idea of doing it their way though.
    i'm not a 1940s press photographer taking newsprint quality snapshots. i'm not you shooting whatever you shoot at whatever your standard of "great" is. i'm not shooting just one rangefinder-synced lens under conditions where a focuspot is always useable. the set of options available to you are not the same as the set of options available to me. it's my photography, of course i'm set on doing it my way, that's what makes it mine.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Absolutely… you are correct… it’s your idea and your photography… and you are clearly set on doing it your way. We don’t need to understand and you don’t really seem to want us to understand. It’s all good. I’m eagerly awaiting a sketch of your concept. A timeline of the sequence of operation would also be nice because the various descriptions appear to possibly include contradictions. I love innovative solutions, especially elegant designs, and I’m actually interested in understanding…