Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting a speed graphic into an SLR

Re: Converting a speed graphic into an SLR

With today's technology it's probably easier to put a digital camera that is pointed at the ground glass (with baffling to block stray light of course) and use your phone to view the output. Many people just take pictures of the ground glass as-is and the quality is decent. A ground glass with a fresnel (as most Graflexes have) would probably look pretty good for viewfinding purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    With today's technology it's probably easier to put a digital camera that is pointed at the ground glass (with baffling to block stray light of course) and use your phone to view the output. Many people just take pictures of the ground glass as-is and the quality is decent. A ground glass with a fresnel (as most Graflexes have) would probably look pretty good for viewfinding purposes.
    you're missing the point. i have a speed graphic so i can shoot 4x5 film or plates. i want to add the functionality of an slr so that i can do that with moving subjects or handheld without the delay of focusing and framing and then having to load the film and wind the shutter and pull the dark slide before taking the shot. if i want digital photos i'll just use my dslr as a dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    you're missing the point. i have a speed graphic so i can shoot 4x5 film or plates. i want to add the functionality of an slr so that i can do that with moving subjects or handheld without the delay of focusing and framing and then having to load the film and wind the shutter and pull the dark slide before taking the shot. if i want digital photos i'll just use my dslr as a dslr.
    I'm not suggesting you use the digital camera as a picture taking implement- just saying you use a small digital camera as a way to view the ground glass "eyes up" without using a darkcloth. You would still need to load the film holder before taking the shot though. This does have the advantage that you can use any lens you want. If you didn't know using even a slight wide angle lens on a 4x5 SLR is impossible because the mirror gets in the way. Maybe this doesn't matter to you- and if it doesn't why not just buy a existing 4x5 SLR like a Graflex RB?

My large format focal plane cameras don't like wider lenses and the mirror can impact the rear cell when trying to focus up close. Which is why Graflexes like normal to longer lenses Just sayin Best of Luck and show us what you end up with
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I'm not suggesting you use the digital camera as a picture taking implement- just saying you use a small digital camera as a way to view the ground glass "eyes up" without using a darkcloth. You would still need to load the film holder before taking the shot though. This does have the advantage that you can use any lens you want. If you didn't know using even a slight wide angle lens on a 4x5 SLR is impossible because the mirror gets in the way. Maybe this doesn't matter to you- and if it doesn't why not just buy a existing 4x5 SLR like a Graflex RB?
    if i needed a reflex viewer i'd just build a reflex viewer, not an slr. "If you didn't know..." you really think i'm designing a custom slr speed graphic and it hasn't occurred to me that moving the bellows forward about half a foot and sticking a mirror box behind it is going to prevent me from shooting with wide angle lenses? i can still use "any lens i want" (within the normal limitations of a speed graphic) by removing the mirror box. that's why i'm building a removeable mirror box and one of the reasons i'm not buying an slr. obviously buying an slr was one of the first options i considered. i might be crazy, but i'm not stupid.
    Last edited by maltfalc; 8-Nov-2021 at 14:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    My large format focal plane cameras don't like wider lenses and the mirror can impact the rear cell when trying to focus up close. Which is why Graflexes like normal to longer lenses Just sayin Best of Luck and show us what you end up with
    yeah, i know. that's why i'm going to the trouble of building a camera that can switch between being an slr and a view camera. best of both worlds, half the weight to lug around, hundreds of dollars saved.

I do get your point. But I remain unconvinced. You'll still have to take the mirror box along, be able to store it when not in use and make a well aligned and light tight connection between all. All the time keeping the mirror box itself in good shape. So you'll need 2 covers to put on it as well. And don't forget that a rectangular tube with 2 opposite sides missing is rather flimsy so it will have to be very solidly constructed, certainly because your mirror will need to be able to remain well aligned (angle and distance to the GG) and free to move. Not impossible but I doubt it is practical in the field. Or that that removable mirror box is much lighter than a light field camera.

Wish you all the luck with this project, curious how it will turn out.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

multiplex

maltfalc:

good luck with your project !
    I have a speed and series d and sometimes wish the speed had an easier way to focus, than you know the LF dance.
    are you planning on having a peep hole on top or the back to focus and if you do will it be more accurate than the ground glass that's already there or hyperfocal work
    or using the rangefinder that may or may not have been included with your camera and adjusted to one of your prime go to lenses.

a portable prism inside your camera sounds good
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I do get your point. But I remain unconvinced. You'll still have to take the mirror box along, be able to store it when not in use and make a well aligned and light tight connection between all. All the time keeping the mirror box itself in good shape. So you'll need 2 covers to put on it as well. And don't forget that a rectangular tube with 2 opposite sides missing is rather flimsy so it will have to be very solidly constructed, certainly because your mirror will need to be able to remain well aligned (angle and distance to the GG) and free to move. Not impossible but I doubt it is practical in the field. Or that that removable mirror box is much lighter than a light field camera.

Wish you all the luck with this project, curious how it will turn out.
    storage is no problem, it'll fit in a foam padded case or camera bag just as easily as a lens or flash or any other camera accessory. the mirror box will have a front and back, they'll just have 4x5 cutouts. there's no reason i can't add extra bracing between the mirror box and camera if there's a bit of flex and the front and beck will be attached to the steel frames of the fp shutter and bellows, so i'm not worried. alignment of the mirror and gg with the film plane is easy to check when the film plane has it's own gg. the light seals at the ends will be basically the same as the seals between the bellows and fp shutter since all i'm doing is splitting that connection into two connections. some wood, foam, a few small metal parts, a thin glass mirror and gg aren't going to weight much.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    maltfalc:

good luck with your project !
    I have a speed and series d and sometimes wish the speed had an easier way to focus, than you know the LF dance.
    are you planning on having a peep hole on top or the back to focus and if you do will it be more accurate than the ground glass that's already there or hyperfocal work
    or using the rangefinder that may or may not have been included with your camera and adjusted to one of your prime go to lenses.

a portable prism inside your camera sounds good
    J
    no peephole, just a great big gg on top with a hood like any other large format slr.