Thread: Shanghai GP3: First Impressions

Shanghai GP3: First Impressions

EDIT: What I describe below is for 4x5 sheet film. I have not tried the 120. Also, I am told - but have not confirmed -
    that this same film is available in the US as a private label product from CatLabs.

Some years ago, I tried Shangai film. I loved the look of the stuff, but the quality control was so poor, it was essentially unusable. Upon hearing that this had been solved and that the manufacturing was no longer in the government's hands, I decided to give it another go.

These observations are only from developing and scanning the film. I've not yet printed it, which is always my real standard. The image below was shot on GP3 at ASA 100 (box speed) and semistand developed in Pyrocat-HD 1.5:1:200 for 60min @20C. Notes:

• Neither the emulsion nor base look or feel like the Shangai I remember. This appears to be an entirely different film.
    • Quality control seems good with no immediate evidence of spots or emulsion breaks. Certainly a very usable film.
    • The film achieved full box speed ASA in semistand development.
    • It does not take Pyro stain deeply as compared to, say, Tri-X or FP4+.
    • There is no evidence of any relief image on the emulsion side, which I've come to expect from semistand developed films.
    • It is about 1/3 less expensive than FP4+ here in the US. I'd imagine similar relative savings elsewhere, but have not confirmed.

This film reminds me of Agfapan APX 100 in many ways. It has a similar response to Pyrocat-HD staining and semistand development.

It's unlikely to become my daily driver but it certainly seems like a decent film. I do intend to explore it a bit more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211106-1-026-sm.jpg  
    Last edited by tundra; 7-Nov-2021 at 12:44.
    Silver Photographers Never Die, They're Just Getting Fixed

My Stuff: https://www.tundraware.com/Photography
    Reference Material: https://photoarchive.tundraware.com/

Re: Shanghai GP3: First Impressions

Thanks for posting about your experience!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Shanghai GP3: First Impressions

I shoot it fairly regularly in 120 format and really like the results developed in D-23. Not my "go to" film either, but when I feel like running light I toss a roll into my Zeiss folder and I'm good to go.