Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USING TILT and SWING TOGETHER

Drew Wiley

Re: USING TILT and SWING TOGETHER

Spoken like a true competitor of Sinar. I wonder what a former Sinar rep would reply. No need. I have their handbooks. It has been a delightful experience over my lifetime to have learned so many things just so I can have the pleasure of forgetting most of them. If I don't use it, I lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Spoken like a true competitor of Sinar. I wonder what a former Sinar rep would reply. No need. I have their handbooks. It has been a delightful experience over my lifetime to have learned so many things just so I can have the pleasure of forgetting most of them. If I don't use it, I lose it.
    I am a former Sinar rep.

Drew Wiley

You sure attack em right and left, Bob. So tell me, why did they so loudly advertise or market "yaw free" for such a long time before anyone else dared copy their mechanism or try using the same terminology? Some kind of patent must have been in play. I'd really like to hear the history, even though I've personally reverted to their pre-"yaw-free" Norma model.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You sure attack em right and left, Bob. So tell me, why did they so loudly advertise or market "yaw free" for such a long time before anyone else dared copy their mechanism or try using the same terminology? Some kind of patent must have been in play. I'd really like to hear the history, even though I've personally reverted to their pre-"yaw-free" Norma model.
    I believe the first yaw free design was a French camera from the 19th century.
    Why not a big deal? Decades of photographers successfully shot with yaw prone cameras. Correcting for yaw is no big deal.

I use varying degrees of swilt....only as much as neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have back asymmetrical tilt on my Chamonix. What's recommended procedure for this one?
    Alan,

If you read my previous post carefully and do a bit of extrapolating, you'll find your answer.

First, asymmetrical movements are only available on the back IIRC. Very often, especially with architectural work, the back gets leveled and tilts are done with the front standard. I'm not sure if the Chamonix camera you have has only base tilts or both base and axis tilts on the front standard. Whatever the case, you'd be using one of those for such situations.

If you have a situation where you want to use back asymmetrical tilt, then just apply that as usual first. No need to do anything different for the first movement you apply except try to get your focus points on the swing axis so swinging is easier later.

You can, of course apply swing before tilt, in which case you just apply the swing as usual, asymmetrical or not, while trying to get the swing focus points on the tilt axis (asymmetrical or not).

If you use base tilts, however, I find it easier to apply them first and then apply the swing second. If your camera has both types, and you use both types regularly, then just get in the habit of applying tilt first.

If you plan on using asymmetrical swing with the back after applying tilt, then do try to choose a focus point for the tilt movement that lies on your swing axis. Then you can use that point as one of your swing focus points and just swing to get your second focus point for the swing in focus and not have to refocus.

If you can't do that, then you simply have to do a couple of focus iterations: apply tilt, apply swing, check tilt focus points and refocus, check swing focus points and refocus, repeat until all four points are sharp. (Note: this is the same thing you'd do with any kind of swings if you can't get the focus points for the tilt on the swing axis).

Best,

Doremus

Thanks, Doremus. I've only tried both tilt and swing once or twice using back tilt first asymmetrically. Then playing with the swing. Don't think I did that great.

and don't ever forget... “It Don’t Mean A Thing If You Ain’t Got That Swing!” (Duke Ellington/Nina Simone)

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Back during my piano playing days I was playing Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag for a college music teacher. When I finished he looked at me accusingly and said "You're SWINGING it!"

Thomas

IMO, only time asymmetrical tilt & swing has a real advantage is in a studio setting for table top and similar images where time is $ and setting camera movement rapidly and speedy as possible has that advantage. Otherwise, apply camera movement, check and re-focus as needed. Having used a variety of view cameras with both asymmetrical tilt & swing and non asymmetrical tilt & swing, little difference if any in the image result, difference in the time-effort and skills needed to achieve the same result.

Sinar P was the first to widely market asymmetrical tilt & swing, Sinar was successful with it, they are NOT the only brand with asymmetrical tilt & swing, just first to achieve market success.

https://dynewskiphotography.com/sinar-info-no-8/

Bernice.