Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KEH Question

Re: KEH Question

I see on Ebay that they have a lot of ugly Dagors for sale. To me the prices seem very high for a damaged lens. I'm not sure who the the target buyer is. People who want to imitate Sally Mann?

I was lucky. When I wanted to emulate Sally, I found a Rapid Rectilinear 8x10 triple convertible for $15.50 including shipping.

I've gotten some deals from KEH 's "UG" vintage LF lenses & shutters from the auction site.
    I agree that it's probably stuff they don't want to deal with cleaning/repairing/CLA'ing.
    They buy for pennies on the dollar, so they can still make money on it.

Just received a black Sinar 12" Extension Rail from KEH that they graded as "BGN". I'd rate it to be in absolutely excellent condition. Obviously used a number of times but no dents and black paint is 99.99% there. Some tiny scratches are there, but I have to put on my reading glasses to see them...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    ugly is ugly. lenses are fungus eatten n scratched...
    Not necessarily. I recently bought an Olympus OM 28-48mm zoom that was rated ugly. I think I paid about $15 for it. There was some slight fungus, but I was able to completely clean it up without much effort. There were also a couple of screws loose in the zoom mechanism, but again I was able to easily fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    I've gotten some deals from KEH 's "UG" vintage LF lenses & shutters from the auction site.
    I agree that it's probably stuff they don't want to deal with cleaning/repairing/CLA'ing.
    They buy for pennies on the dollar, so they can still make money on it.
    I've bought mostly bargain stuff from KEH, the most expensive being a pentax LX camera - the exterior is rough, but everything works find except for light leaks, changed seals myself and now I have a camera I couldn't otherwise afford working well (at least for now). I've picked up a few 'ugly' lenses if I thought they could be repaired, sometimes lucky sometimes not. Especially for items I'll never be able to afford in great condition, I'm happy to give KEH bargains a try if the price is right. Now that I'm picking up large format I'll certainly be looking for those bargains on KEH, along with checking ebay.