Thread: Is this bellows sag? Trying to identify cause of unexposed portion of image

Question Is this bellows sag? Trying to identify cause of unexposed portion of image

Hello All,

Hoping I can get some ideas as to what might be going wrong with some of my images.

I'm see that some of my images have an area in the bottom left of the image that appears to be unexposed.

I'm thinking potentially it is bellow sag? But would love to get thoughts on if what I'm seeing could be explained by bellows sag. Or if you have some other thoughts / ideas on the potential cause.

thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	073.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	220922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	097.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	220923
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/156n...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yTf...ew?usp=sharing

Re: Is this bellows sag? Trying to identify cause of unexposed portion of image

Good day,

When I see this I also think it is the sagging of the bellows for the following reasons:
    -The shadow has quite a bit of definition without being really sharp, so the distance from the 'shadow source' to your film is not very small (dark slide) or large (lens). Photo 1 seems closer than photo 2 when I look at the sharpness of the shadow.
    -The shadow is at the bottom of your photo, so at the top in your camera.
    -The texture you see in the shade looks a bit like fabric rather than smooth like a dark slide.

Fortunately you can test it without wasting film because you can easily see it on the ground glass. Good luck playing detective!

Looks like you loaded your holder into the camera from the top. The images projected on the film plane would be upside down. The bellows also sagged down from above and "dodged" the lower part of the frame. I don't have an extra long bellows on my Toyo 810M camera (I had Western Bellows make a "lifetime" replacement of the factory Toyo). Still, when I use the 450mm lens, I have to prop up the bellows from below to prevent this. Now I fit my personal cameras with Dynatect replacement bellows. They are the best in my opinion, but they are very thin and also need such support.

This is one of the reasons I like clipped corners on the GG (in addition to checking lens coverage)...this is very easy to see. You can do the same looking thru the front of the lens and checking that the light path to the GG is not blocked by the bellows.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Swami View Post
    Hello All,

Hoping I can get some ideas as to what might be going wrong with some of my images.

I'm see that some of my images have an area in the bottom left of the image that appears to be unexposed.

I'm thinking potentially it is bellow sag? But would love to get thoughts on if what I'm seeing could be explained by bellows sag. Or if you have some other thoughts / ideas on the potential cause.

thanks
    You don't mention what format (4x5? 8x10?) these images are. I'm guessing 8x10, and bellows sag is more of an issue with larger cameras. My Intrepid 8x10 often suffers from bellows sag that can intrude on the image area, so I am inclined (after checking visually) to slip a wadded-up handkerchief under the bellows to prop it up just a bit. I'm betting this is an Intrepid camera, and yes - that looks like bellows sag.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I did have a chance today to play around a bit with my camera (@paulbarden it is an 8x10 but not intrepid) and confirmed it was an issue of bellows sag. It was bellows sag driven by a healthy amount of front rise.

I was surprised with how much the bellows sag didn’t jump out at me when viewing the image on the ground glass. Knowing what to look for will certainly make it easier to identify in the future.

Vaughn you are absolutely right that the clipped corners make it pretty easy to see bellow sag. My corners were already clipped but it was not something that I regularly checked. It will be some that I check going forward.

Thanks again for the input!