Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Developing tank advice

Re: Developing tank advice

Quote Originally Posted by ottluuk View Post
    I think Paterson Orbital deserves a mention here. It's basically an 8 x 10 tray with a daylight lid, funnel and a funky base (motorised or manual) that gives a swaying rotation, a bit like the last rounds of a spinning top. With dividers, you can set it up for four 4x5s, two 5x7s or a single 8x10. There are no holders so it's dead easy to load and you can use it for less common sizes with no extra trouble. 9x12 cm, 4x10", half plate...
    Obviously there is a catch. The catch is that in my experience it works well either in constant agitation mode with very small amount of developer (close to how it was originally intended to be used for processing prints) or filled almost to the brim for stand development. With "normal" amounts of fluid you get problems – from negs lifting over the dividers to surge marks/uneven development to developer sloshing out of the corners if agitated too vigorously. This rules out quite a few developer/dilution options.
    The Spearman Press SP-8x10 seems to be a new variation on the same basic idea (daylight tray with removable dividers) – but with a more generous volume and no "orbiting". Worth a look if you ever intend to mix formats.

All that said.. if you shoot a lot and prefer repeatable results to experimenting with development regimes, a Jobo Expert Drum is at least worth investigating.
    I’ll add my vote for the orbital.
    Even though I own an spp445 the orbital gets used exclusively.
    I don’t bother with the base, I just lift a corner gently like you would when tray developing prints.
    I fill it with just under 500cc of solution and get even development, whether I’m doing 4sheets of 45 or one sheet of 810.

I did a couple of mods to it : cut off the “finns” on the underside of the lid, and glued some plastic half beads to the bottom so the solution circulates under the sheets too and the anti aliasing layer gets washed off more efficiently.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

I forgot I have an Orbital

With your success I will try it soon

Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by lenicolas View Post
    I’ll add my vote for the orbital.
    Even though I own an spp445 the orbital gets used exclusively.
    I don’t bother with the base, I just lift a corner gently like you would when tray developing prints.
    I fill it with just under 500cc of solution and get even development, whether I’m doing 4sheets of 45 or one sheet of 810.

I did a couple of mods to it : cut off the “finns” on the underside of the lid, and glued some plastic half beads to the bottom so the solution circulates under the sheets too and the anti aliasing layer gets washed off more efficiently.

The "best" is probably the Jobo expert drum, but it's expensive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jobo_J3006_Expert_Sheet_Film_Drum_25427.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	222515

Stearman tank is popular and easy to load, but only does 4 sheets--good choice if you want to do stand development.

Name:	stearman_press_445100_sp_445_4x5_developing_tank_1616436360_1488476.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	222516

I use the jobo 4x5 reel system, loading is a little finicky (there's an accessory that makes it easier). I have a larger tank and two reels for 12 sheets at a time.

Name:	25202509N1509KIT-2T.jpg 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	222517

B&W KING 4X5 Format Stainless Steel Film Developing Tank
    Feature:
    1,Full-immersion & Manual developing
    2,Large capacity & Easy assemble and Disassemble
    3,Rotational stirring & Convenient operation
    4,Durable metal structure
    Product Details:
    1,BWG01 For 4x5 Inches specifications of film,It will hold up to 10 sheets at a time .
    height: 170 mm
    diameter: Ø110mm
    capacity: 1050ml
    weight: 1210 g

Name:	B&W KING 4X5 TANK.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	223043

another high recommendation for the Stearman Press SP-445 from me. Only one caveat, when I received mine from BH it was missing the two film holders. Should have sent back but Tim sent me replacement holders, so high marks for the great customer care from Tim at Stearman Press! Being new to LF is so far my only experience developing (even though I had previously already owned a Yankee tank). Oh, one final benefit... only 475 ml of chemistry needed. A 120 roll takes 500 ml, so for low volume users (so far) like me, is a great invention!

Quote Originally Posted by djphoto View Post
    The "best" is probably the Jobo expert drum, but it's expensive.

Name:	Jobo_J3006_Expert_Sheet_Film_Drum_25427.jpg 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	222515

Stearman tank is popular and easy to load, but only does 4 sheets--good choice if you want to do stand development.

Name:	stearman_press_445100_sp_445_4x5_developing_tank_1616436360_1488476.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	222516

I use the jobo 4x5 reel system, loading is a little finicky (there's an accessory that makes it easier). I have a larger tank and two reels for 12 sheets at a time.

Name:	25202509N1509KIT-2T.jpg 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	222517
    I have the JOBO 2500 system, for roll - aswel as for 4"x5" film. Both, the small for one sheet film reel and the one holding two reels.
    As it works flawlessly, the main disadvantage, to my opinion, is the rather large volume of chemicals required to fill the tank (almost till the rim) as I operate it manually.
    1300 cc for the small tank taking one reel for 6 sheets (as shown in the last picture in your post) is a bit generous I think...
    But, on the other hand, as I mainly dilute the developer, Pyrocat-HD for instance, it is doable.

I still have my open tank system (I made it of black acryl glass) for holding the famous grey/blue coloured plastic K0DAK hangers. It's a set of 5 open 'containers', holding 8 hangers, to be used "au bain marie".
    But as my Infra Red viewer broke a few years ago, I don't use that system any more...
    Last edited by phdgent; 12-Jan-2022 at 07:01. Reason: error

This is one of the DIY tanks I made out of black acryl glass (and the sheet holders I bought from KODAK a long time ago).
    The frame in which the holders hang is meant for handling and agitating the holders all together, just lift that frame and you can dip all of them in the next tank/bath.
    There ar 5 of them: water-, developer-, stop- and two fixing baths.

Name:	4x5 TANK #1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	223451
    Last edited by phdgent; 12-Jan-2022 at 07:02. Reason: error

My favorite 2X3 sheet film Daylight tank uses a waffle shape inside a roll film tank, max 12 sheets, I do 6

The film is never touched until fully dry

Quote Originally Posted by phdgent View Post
    This is one of the DIY tanks I made out of black acryl glass (and the sheet holders I bought from KODAK a long time ago).
    The frame in which the holders hang is meant for handling and agitating the holders all together, just lift that frame and you can dip all of them in the next tank/bath.
    There ar 5 of them: water-, developer-, stop- and two fixing baths.

Name:	4x5 TANK #1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	223451
    I've never seen or heard of those hangers. They look neat. I love open tanks but I have a Jobo machine now. I use an Expert 3006 for 4x5 and 5x7. I do use an IR viewer for loading 4x5 on the Jobo reels occasionally, 2509n, IIRC . Those reels work slick, but I couldn't manage without the IR. Every method works.
    Best Mike

So hate to be a noob here but I'm just getting back into 4X5 since college. I'm going to get a Stearman 4x5 tank as I don't have a darkroom. I'm just wondering, you guys talk about these fancy developers and such, is there any problem with simply using D-76 and Kodak Fixer and water?

Thanks,

d