Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Developer For 4x5 Hard Rubber 1/2 Gallon Tanks

Best Developer For 4x5 Hard Rubber 1/2 Gallon Tanks

I just inherited a bunch of Kodak 4x5 hard rubber tanks. They use 1/2 gallon, so I’m having difficulty choosing a developer. D-76 1:1 for example, would use 1 quart of stock, not very economical for processing 6-10 sheets. I would process only that many sheets in a month. What would you choose? I also have two left thumbs, so loading MOD54 isn’t easy. TIA.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Re: Best Developer For 4x5 Hard Rubber 1/2 Gallon Tanks

I believe HC-110 is the cheapest commercial developer available.

Some of the Pyro developers work at extreme dilutions and may be even cheaper.

I doubt, though, that either would survive a month at working dilution.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Mix your own D-23.
    Use a floating lid, and replenish.

(Shrek)

When I was using the FR tank or similar, I would use extreme dilutions of HC-110 or similar, something like 1:100, and used stand development, sometimes semi-stand (1 agitation). It was the only way I could control contrast and get around the uneven dev problem with those tanks.

The simplest and likely most economical way to do this with consistency would be HC-110 (or Ilford Ilfotec HC) or Rodinal. Alternatively, replenished XTOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsandpixels View Post
    I just inherited a bunch of Kodak 4x5 hard rubber tanks. They use 1/2 gallon, so I’m having difficulty choosing a developer. D-76 1:1 for example, would use 1 quart of stock, not very economical for processing 6-10 sheets. I would process only that many sheets in a month. What would you choose? I also have two left thumbs, so loading MOD54 isn’t easy. TIA.

I would second the D-23 and replenish. The greatest advantage of using tanks is that you can leave developers like D-23, D-76, or DK-50 and leave them in the tanks for months or even a year with replenishment. These developers should be not be diluted when used in this way.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

multiplex

DK50 and replenish it with DK50R.. or go to Bluegrass Packaging and get some Harvey's 777.
    Keep track of how many films you put through it and when its time to mix more, leave 1/3 the tank to season the new tank.
    when I apprenticed with a portrait photographer she used DK50/tri x/tri x ortho and this was standard operating procedure ( for decades ).
    I currently do something similar with Sumatra based Caffenol C spiked with a little Dektol or ANsco130 print developer. it works great.

HC110 @ 1:63 ounces - Nice dilution since it is double the normal time, but very handy when you need to reduce time to contract your contrast.
    Pyrocat HD / M 18mlA+18mlB+1850ml W

IF only developing a single sheet use some thick acrylic or thick plastic in the tank to reduce the developer volume needed. Drill holes and zip tie it to a hanger and tape it down or chip clip it to sides if it floats.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

My local brick and mortar camera store sold out to the bare walls. I bought all of their DK-50 cheap cheap to use in my 3 1/2 gallon Kodak Tanks. Two dollars a packet.

DSC05898 by Nokton48, on Flickr

The DK-50 Replenisher I bought on Ebay

dk-50 replenisher by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    My local brick and mortar camera store sold out to the bare walls. I bought all of their DK-50 cheap cheap to use in my 3 1/2 gallon Kodak Tanks. Two dollars a packet.

DSC05898 by Nokton48, on Flickr

The DK-50 Replenisher I bought on Ebay

dk-50 replenisher by Nokton48, on Flickr
    THUMBS UP!

I think the formulary the chemical components to mix both of these from scratch if you get into a pickle.