Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandagon vs. Grandagon-N vs. Nikkor lenses. A light fall-off question.

Grandagon vs. Grandagon-N vs. Nikkor lenses. A light fall-off question.

Hi,

Rumor has it, that the Grandagon-N was an improved version from the original Grandagon lenses, in the sense that the Grandagon-N lenses had no light fall-off, or virtually almost no fall-off.

Whether a rumor or not, is that true about these Rodenstock lenses with regard to light fall-off?

If so, what would the concrete advantages/disadvantages be from the original Grandagon to the newer Grandagon-N lenses?

How do the Nikkor (or Nikons) compare to the Rodenstock Grandagon and Grandagon-N lenses with regard to light fall-off.

Did you ever pose any of these questions to yourself, if you happened to have decided between Nikkors, (Nikons), and Rodenstocks,
    (given also that both of these brands had similar, almost identical, products in their characteristics)?

Thank you very much in advance, kind regards,

Ig.

Re: Grandagon vs. Grandagon-N vs. Nikkor lenses. A light fall-off question.

No, all of these type lenses from all manufacturers have the same fall off.
    The Grandagon N is multi coated and has better optical performance as for resolution, color, distortion, etc..

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your message : )!!!

So, a 75mm. or 90mm. with f/4.5, whether it was a Grandagon, Grandagon-N, or Nikkor, it had the same light fall-off.

This applies to any of the f/6.8 Grandagon lenses as well, I imagine. As most of the Grandagons that were manufactured,
    have this maximum aperture, isn't?

The only true difference then, between a Rodenstock Grandagon and the Rodenstock Grandagon-N, as you mentioned, it is not with regard to light fall-off,
    but with regard to better optical performance given by a better resolution, better colors, less distortion, etc.

The rebranded Rodenstock Grandagon-N is a Caltar-II-N. Is that right?

Thank you again, kind regards!
    Last edited by Ig Nacio; 31-Oct-2021 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Ig Nacio View Post
    Hi Bob,

Thank you for your message : )!!!

So, a 75mm. or 90mm. with f/4.5, wether it was a Grandagon, Grandagon-N, or Nikkor, it had the same light fall-off.

This applies to any of the f/6.8 Grandagon lenses as well, I imagine. As most of the Grandagons that were manufactured,
    have this maximum aperture, isn't?

The only true difference then, between a Rodenstock Grandagon and the Rodenstock Grandagon-N, as you mentioned, it is not with regard to light fall-off,
    but with regard to better optical performance given by a better resolution, better colors, less distortion, etc.

The rebranded Rodenstock Grandagon-N is a Caltar-II-N. Is that right?

Thank you again, kind regards!
    They were also Sinar branded.

Thank you again Bob : )!!!

Kind regards,

Ig

The Nikon SW lenses can have a larger image circle than their corresponding European lenses.

For example, the image circle at f22 quoted by Nikon for a 90mm f8 SW lens is 235mm, which is the same image circle quoted by Schneider for a 90mm Super Angulon, but for their f5.6 version. That's the same image circle quoted by Nikon for a 90mm SW f4.5, except that it's quoted at f16 instead of f22. So, the f4.5 will have a somewhat larger image circle than it's corresponding European f5.6 lenses. The same is true for the Nikon 75m SW (f8 and f4.5) lenses.

For comparison, the image circle quoted by Schneider for the 90mm Super Angulon f8 is 216mm.

Not positive on the following, I believe the Nikon 90mm SW f8 has 8 elements, whereas a Schneider Super Angulon f8 has fewer elements.

For these reasons, many photographers, myself included, purchase the Nikon 90mm f8 lens for 4x5 photography, because they're lighter-weight.

It's been observed fairly often that Nikon lenses are slightly warmer than their corresponding European lenses. The potential difference in color doesn't bother me, since all my 4x5 photography is black and white. My color work is all medium format, so for this approximate focal length, I use a Schneider 100mm f5.6 Apo Symmar.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    The Nikon SW lenses can have a larger image circle than their corresponding European lenses.

For example, the image circle at f22 quoted by Nikon for a 90mm f8 SW lens is 235mm, which is the same image circle quoted by Schneider for a 90mm Super Angulon, but for their f5.6 version. That's the same image circle quoted by Nikon for a 90mm SW f4.5, except that it's quoted at f16 instead of f22. So, the f4.5 will have a somewhat larger image circle than it's corresponding European f5.6 lenses. The same is true for the Nikon 75m SW (f8 and f4.5) lenses.

For comparison, the image circle quoted by Schneider for the 90mm Super Angulon f8 is 216mm.

Not positive on the following, I believe the Nikon 90mm SW f8 has 8 elements, whereas a Schneider Super Angulon f8 has fewer elements.

For these reasons, many photographers, myself included, purchase the Nikon 90mm f8 lens for 4x5 photography, because they're lighter-weight.

It's been observed fairly often that Nikon lenses are slightly warmer than their corresponding European lenses. The potential difference in color doesn't bother me, since all my 4x5 photography is black and white. My color work is all medium format, so for this approximate focal length, I use a Schneider 100mm f5.6 Apo Symmar.
    Interesting, but if they are the same speed or ˝ stop faster and have an extra element how can they be lighter? If they are the same speed the glass has to be the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Interesting, but if they are the same speed or ˝ stop faster and have an extra element how can they be lighter? If they are the same speed the glass has to be the same size.
    Mechanical design? Barrel material? Same design type, different prescriptions? Different design type -- the 90/8 SA is six elements in four groups, the 90/8 Nikkor SW is eight/four.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Mechanical design? Barrel material? Same design type, different prescriptions? Different design type -- the 90/8 SA is six elements in four groups, the 90/8 Nikkor SW is eight/four.
    So, more glass should be more weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    So, more glass should be more weight?
    Depends on the prescription. Some want thicker elements than others.