Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technika III vs later models

Re: Linhof Technika III vs later models

I not sure about having an RF on a LF camera... The Tek is heavy, and not comfortable hand holding it for long, not much of an area to read focus, having a larger GG to focus and compose on is one of the best features of sheet film cameras, if camera is on tripod, you have to move set camera around to get the narrow RF FOV to find the spot to focus on, and RF units could drift their alignment over time and use... Seems to be a good feature, but just relied on GG or focus distance scales and skipped the RF feature until I forgot it was on there...

Yea, the press and wedding guys used them, but I think might have been more of a kludge looking for a solution...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I not sure about having an RF on a LF camera... The Tek is heavy, and not comfortable hand holding it for long, not much of an area to read focus, having a larger GG to focus and compose on is one of the best features of sheet film cameras, if camera is on tripod, you have to move set camera around to get the narrow RF FOV to find the spot to focus on, and RF units could drift their alignment over time and use... Seems to be a good feature, but just relied on GG or focus distance scales and skipped the RF feature until I forgot it was on there...

Yea, the press and wedding guys used them, but I think might have been more of a kludge looking for a solution...

Steve
    You should have told that to Mary Ellen Mark. She used her Master Technika hand held using the rangefinder.
    If it is properly cammed it can’t drift off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You should have told that to Mary Ellen Mark. She used her Master Technika hand held using the rangefinder.
    If it is properly cammed it can’t drift off.
    Ahhhhhh, still a wrist-wrecker even with that "anatomic grip"... Made for ham-fisted teutonic types...

Mark's hand & wrists must look like the "mummy's curse" these days...
    ;-)

Even a Graphic gets heavy after a while... I think the side leather straps are easier as the camera weight on a grip cantilevers especially on a entirely metal camera...

The B&J or Busch Pressman are strong and light, but only one lens RF coupling, MUCH easier to prolong handholding...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Ahhhhhh, still a wrist-wrecker even with that "anatomic grip"... Made for ham-fisted teutonic types...

Mark's hand & wrists must look like the "mummy's curse" these days...
    ;-)

Even a Graphic gets heavy after a while... I think the side leather straps are easier as the camera weight on a grip cantilevers especially on a entirely metal camera...

The B&J or Busch Pressman are strong and light, but only one lens RF coupling, MUCH easier to prolong handholding...

Steve K
    The Master Technika comes with the leather strap. The Anatomical Grip is an accessory.

Thanks to everyone who replied with all the great information.

I ended up buying a Technika III v5 made in 1956 (I believe) that was in great condition from the family of a retired photographer. The camera was amazingly well maintained, with the bellows, outside leather, and even the leather on the viewfinder hood all still in near perfect condition. All gears for the movements were properly lubricated and operated smoothly, and the rangefinder was bright and clear, requiring just a quick wipe with a q tip to remove a bit of dust from the viewfinder. Most importantly to me, the camera came with 3 lenses, a 90mm super angulon, a 150mm Symmar, and a 270mm tele-xanar, all with perfectly operating shutters and cams properly matched to both the Technika III body and the individual lenses via SN. It also came with a few extras like a sports finder, a spare ground glass, and a few release cables. A quick test withe the camera on a tripod to compare the RF focus with the GG confirmed that the rangefinder is accurate with each individual lens, which was important to me. Considering I was able to get all this for less than most of the IV bodies alone I was able to find, I consider it a win.

While I know that there are advantages to the newer models, and appreciate everyone pointing them out, I am hopeful that in its current condition, and knowing that it will be well cared for by me, it will continue to last a long time. And since it came with all the lenses I "need", forward compatibility is not currently an issue for me. Im also happy that unlike the speed graphic I used to have, the ability to use multiple cammed lenses plus the additional movements it offers will make it much more versatile, no matter what Im shooting. Next up for me is to test some "close" handheld portraits to work out both reasonable shutter speeds for hand holding as well as how far I need to stop each lens down to achieve the DOF I need to compensate for parallax issues than may result from focusing and recomposing at close distance, then to shoot a few other subjects with movements to see what I can do with it.

sounds like you bought the right camera the right way- on condition and completeness. I'm sure you'll be very pleased- best of luck!
    And don't forget to share a photo or two here, when you have some that you like.

Congratulations!!! Getting a complete camera as a kit is a big+++, as the accessories are period correct, as there was some minor variations with lensboards etc that don't completely interchange (despite the same size boards have very minor variations that won't fit all the III's)... Getting used blank boards that fit are scarce and tricky these days...

I have a III for decades now, and have used a Master for a short time on loan, and the Master is upgraded, but not too different the basic camera, mostly the extra front tilt... But the III has some front base tilt if you know where to look... If you drop the bed to the lower position and tilt back the lens to new normal position, there are three indent positions the FS will rest on, and those are the front tilts (not locked down, but fits fairly snug)... Those are the common points your tilt will about need... A little crude, but does work...

Despite the weight, the top feature of the Teks is being able to open them and they (with practice) can be zeroed out and set-up mostly by feel, and I find myself getting it on the tripod and basic aiming without looking at the camera much, and what I see on the GG is very close to what I will be shooting at, so a real time saver and I can set up, shoot, and pack in total of usually less than 5 or 10 minutes...

I don't like the grip as mentioned and it takes up much more space in bag or case... Viewfinder is useful in lower light, but usually use it as a "director's viewfinder" on a neck lanyard that is used before I set up camera... Best place to lift camera for tripod mounting is inside middle of housing shell where the bed latches to lock... (Camera balances very well when lifted from there...)

I have done some restorations on a few of these, and it's great they hold factory alignments well and when zeroed out, tolerances are in the league of fine roll film cameras (unusually good for a sheet film camera) holding tolerances of less than thousands of an inch, and old abused ones were not far off... But two things to watch out for is the fresnel/thin GG are in an odd stacking, so if anyone took it apart to clean, they might not assembled it correctly throwing focus off (do film focus test)... The other thing is even with perfect old bellows now, they can start leaking with even moderate use... But fear not, as Keith at Custom Bellows/UK makes great replacements at a very reasonable price!!! You will be glad you did when you see and use your new bellows... Plan on it...

Lots more to say, but more fun to use... ;-)

Have fun!!!

Steve K

Thats great to hear! Sounds like a very complete late model III. The III was my first Linhof camera and still my favorite.

Arca-Swiss

The III would be OK for Portraits, but if you wanted Tilt there is no front tilt on a III, only back tilt which introduces distortion.
    Some thing to consider. Front tilt might become useful with environmental portraits or even a landscape at some later time...

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Just some things to add:
    I started with a Tech III from 1954, with it's original leather bellows, which are still ok !

I upgraded to a Linhof Technica Color (basically a Tech IV on a rail) from 1964, about 10 years ago. The bellows were some kind of plastic, and tore apart quickly and I replaced it. Did not like the back (well actually the groundglass) and exchanged with the back from the III, apparently compatible, happily using it ever since.

Have fun with the III, I did have, and extra base boards were easy if you know a friendly machinist.

Best,

Cor

Btw I never understood the need to hand held Linhof camera (or other 4*5), but that is off course completely personal, and I did see nice work form those who did, albeit mostly with thos Aero Ektar (?) lenses.