Thread: Cambo Lenged Plus 8x10 - rear rise lock doesn't work.

Cambo Lenged Plus 8x10 - rear rise lock doesn't work.

Hey all!

I just bought a Cambo Legend Plus 8x10, the camera is gorgeous , but it seems to have a problem.
    The rear rise / fall locking knob does not budge. I'm not sure what should i do about it, i'm afraid of forcing it any stronger,
    especially since there's maybe something i'm missing, since i haven't found the manual for this exact model, mine has an extra knob on both sides between the rise and the tilt knobs, that i don't know what they do.

Does anyone has any advice on how to fix it? Or maybe a pdf of the manual for this exact modell.

Re: Cambo Lenged Plus 8x10 - rear rise lock doesn't work.

The extra knobs appear to be the attachment points for a wire frame support for the bellows. It keeps the bellows from sagging when extended, and is probably unique to the 8x10 version.

There's a picture in this link: https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...ng-4x5.230037/

The Cambo Legends and Masters all have the tight locking knob issues if they've been sitting around unused. Definitely don't force anything, since some of the racks are plastic and easily stripped. It's also hard to tell if the knob is actually in the locked position, or just fully backed out to the unlocked position. Try turning in the tightening direction to see if it moves.

If it really is locked tight then try some lighter fluid on the shafts. This should help soften up any dried lubricant. Try to protect the rubber grip rings from the lighter fluid, since the grip rings and/or the glue could be damaged.

Thanks!
    I forgot to mention in the opening post, that it seemed to be fully open, since it would not hold it's position.

I tried a little lighter fluid (even though i don't like that thing near my cameras, but i admit, this is way less sensitive then a shutter), and the most unexpected thing happened, the locking knob is still stuck, but now the whole thing has some friction to it, so it holds it's position.

It may take a few applications. Try dripping the lighter fluid on a thin wire that can get down to the shaft. It's been a while since I did it on mine, but I do remember it wasn't a simple one application and "good as new".

The lighter fluid should be O.K. on any metal parts, but bad for rubber and some plastics. The advantage of the lighter fluid is that it doesn't leave any appreciable residue, so it probably won't make things worse. It tends to dissolve existing lubricant to spread it around, instead of adding more crud to the system.