Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice on 11x14 film holders.

I need advice on 11x14 film holders.

I have now purchased an 11x14 camera. The next step are film holders. Which are the ones that will fit best and keep that big negative flat? Are there issues with converted X Ray film holders being used in a modern 11x14 camera? What is your personal experience ? I am thinking that two holders are enough for one day's shooting in a portrait studio. With the loading. Set up , posing and then the developing a full day is needed for four exposures. I want the film holders to be high quality. Thank You .

Re: I need advice on 11x14 film holders.

You will need to check 'T' on both holders and camera regardless\\
    Tin Can

For years I had used Fidelity brand 11x14 X-Ray film holders with 0% problems. The ones I acquired had spacers attached to both sides that had to be removed for the holders to be used in an 11x14 view camera. For my holders the spacers were attached with 3 screws which were easily removed. I filled the holes with black caulking. Once the caulking dried, I neatly trimmed the excess off. I didn't think that filling in the holes was necessary, but the finished holders just looked so much better.

Only downside was that the holders were on the heavy side when compared to modern (Chamonix) wooden holders. Eventually sold the Medical holders and acquired Chamonix holders. By no means a cheap exchange but well worth the investment if you shoot 11x14 in the field.

I presently carry 4 loaded film holders that fit inside a padded sectioned off case which I found on eBay. Normally I shoot only 2 sheets a day, but every now and then I have shot 6 to 8 sheets when shooting rocks near the ocean or an abandoned large building.

You might want to post the make of your camera. I have yet to own a LF or ULF view camera that I haven't made personal alterations or improvements to.

http://thejournaloflargeformatphotog...11x14.html?m=1

If your camera is from a brand name camera maker, all modern 11x14 holders should fit and work. Like Randy said, double check the T. I also use Fidelity Medical holders as Greg does. These medical holders are exactly the same as regular Fidelity holder after removal of side bars. See the link above, which shows my documenting side bar removal. Enjoy your camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    You will need to check 'T' on both holders and camera regardless\\
    What is the "t" ?

I have a Wisner Technical Field 11x14.

The 'T' refers to the depth the film sits in the holder -- this is important as the film must be on the same plane that the GG occupied when focusing.

I use mostly Fidelity holders, but have an SS which is nice, a Sterling, a Hoffman,and some others. The Fidelity I trust the most. Also, I use a modified darkslide to get two 5.5x14 images on a sheet...I made it from a Fidelity darkslide and it will not fit in some non-Fidelity holders.

I'll carry two or three holders on an outing. Sometimes four if all day, but the weight adds up fast.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    What is the "t" ?
    Now you know and I knew before I bought a big camera missing 11X14 GG and holders

Found a back, but 'T' was way off and I still had no holders

Asked Richard Ritter to adjust 'T', install his Custom Bail Back and make 5 new wood holders to match...perfect!

Very happy with my Bitza, a Studio Deardorf

Shortly I had 3 new bellows made, image 2

I just got it assembled waiting for RR 11X14 back, that's 5X7 on it!

Deardorff S11 Just set up by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

5X7 Deardorff S11 New Bellows by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

I found some Wisner Holders so the T is correct. I think the Fidelity is also the same. I will stick with modern holders.

Courtesy and from Richard Ritter website

The complete 'T'

https://www.lg4mat.net/FilmHolderSpects.html

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    I found some Wisner Holders so the T is correct. I think the Fidelity is also the same. I will stick with modern holders.
    Tin Can