Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting for that special 4x5, my first LF camera

multiplex

Re: Hunting for that special 4x5, my first LF camera

Quote Originally Posted by justlikeswimming View Post
    Thanks so much Bernice, CreationBear, Neil and jnantz for taking the time to educate me about LF. If I can ask another question, where is a good site to purchase a sinar?
    I am stoked, folks, ready to go! Now where is that camera!!!
    Sorry I can't really help you there, I know nothing about Sinars other than when I was looking to buy a LF camera I couldn't afford one!
    I remember the sales guy at the local shop chewing my boss' ear off about the geared rise and fall and all the other lovely things it was capable of doing.
    In the end I just got something that worked and didn't worry about all the bells and whistles.
    Good luck finding your new toy!
    John

Feel free to PM, CreationBear, and thank you!

After reading very carefully the hack devised by Neil, it is indeed a very clever and effective way to compact the 8x10 system for packing. Something to think about as a packing solution for my future system.

I'm leaning toward the Norma (love the look) but have a few questions/comments, if anyone is patient enough to put up with a few more...
    1) just to make sure, could I update the Norma to a 5x7 or larger? I know this possible with the F-series.
    2)Can the rails be extended as with the later Sinar models? Also, much of the hardware can be exchanged between the Sinars but I'm not sure that extends to the earlier camera.
    3) I was checking out 4x5s and came across the Horseman L45. I appreciated the gears and the macro rail function of the rail bushing, but it is a heavy beast. I would dismiss this camera immediately (due to weight), but then I saw a couple videos online. One video showed smooth geared movements using a L45, while another video using the F2 made the Sinar movements appear jerky and difficult. The Sinar user was speaking in German (which I don't understand), for all I know this was a fairly new camera to him or it needed a good CLA.

I'm OK with non-geared controls if they can be accurately adjusted and tightened down without excessive shifting. The Horseman would have to be much better to justify the weight (searching LFPF about the camera revealed some real haters of the Horseman).

I keep on coming up with new questions - you folks have been wonderful (and so patient), thanks so much! Any comments you have are greatly appreciated!

Sinar Normas are out there, Ebay.com, Ebay.de and Ebay UK have more listings. Googling Sinar Norma has turned up some interesting old accessories. If you are diligent it is doable.

Fully Functioning Fastest Sinar Norma 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Twin Lens 4x5 Norma; It is shown with a matched set of Durst 300mm Componons
    I suggest you buy an instruction book which discusses all the major accessories. Old catalogs show what is available.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Had a P 5X7 conversion kit with the bigger rear frame for a meter on a stick

I grew to hate the GG frame as it always bit my fingers, with the TOO strong GG springs

I wasn't going to buy the stick meter either

and that P had the Factory faulty mechanical rotary switch, which P2 eliminated

Gladly sold it

never buy a P

I like my 2 Norma, but too nice for me to beat trees out of my way

Trailer Queens
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Other than focus gearing, there's no need for geared controls in the field. In fact, something geared like a Sinar P or X or C might be a distinct liability in the field, not only due to excess weight, but due to the potential for blowing sand or grit getting caught in all that gearing. The classic old Norma is an excellent compromise between the greater rigidity of the P and the superior portability of the F series, being just slightly heavier. All you sacrifice are "yaw-free" controls, which might be nice for tabletop production work in an a plane-controlled studio environment, but are largely redundant in the field, or even for architecture. Nearly all my closeup work is done in the field, and monorails are ideal in that respect, though if I'm carrying a flatbed camera instead, it's not going to stop me from setting up for a tempting closeup shot. Just not as convenient.

Incidentally, I shock as well as thermally cushion my view camera in the top compartment of my pack by simply tucking them into my goosedown jacket (itself wrapped in a big plastic bag to prevent it from getting wet - wet outerwear can cost you your life in the mountains). I lesser circumstances, ordinary commercial bubble wrap does the trick.

After listening to all the good advice I made the plunge - Norma it is! Upon closer examination, I think the fine-tuned movements allowed by each standard will serve well for control. While geared is nice, goodness knows I'll spend all the time necessary to get the focus just right, gears or no gears. And of course, the weight/benefits ratio just wasn't great enough to justify the Horseman. The Norma is so sturdy looking (unlike later Sinars) and can do everything I need at much less weight. Made the ebay purchase (after many questions to the seller, who took it all with humor and grace), hopefully all will go well!

I don't know whether to dance for joy or vomit from nerves! Good photo times on the way! Thanks again, folks, you've been great! I'll let you know when I get film developed.

Norma it is!
    Excellent, that was a good grab I think! I'm sure you'll pack/re-pack a lot trying to figure out how to work out of your pack, but my particular approach was to use a Hefty brand 18L storage bin (I got mine at Lowes) that I lined with some Reflectix I had lying around to make a redneck ICU. If you're able to keep the lid on and still fit it in your pack, I'd guess it will contain your entire kit--a pretty streamlined solution if you're working in a brier patch.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, that was a good grab I think! I'm sure you'll pack/re-pack a lot trying to figure out how to work out of your pack, but my particular approach was to use a Hefty brand 18L storage bin (I got mine at Lowes) that I lined with some Reflectix I had lying around to make a redneck ICU. If you're able to keep the lid on and still fit it in your pack, I'd guess it will contain your entire kit--a pretty streamlined solution if you're working in a brier patch.
    Sounds like a good idea! Those storage bins come in all sorts of configurations, I'll figure out something that'll work. I like the idea of a box in a bag, more protection with a lid that can be popped on quickly if needed for protection. I have a tripod that's rated for 70+ lbs, and 2 different tripod heads that should get the job done. a couple film holders and film, then it's time to try her out!

I suggest you read Norma manuals 5 times before you get the thing

When you get it, be slow and gentle

Some are damaged already
    Tin Can

Most common issues for any Sinar Norma that has been un-used, un-maintained for years-decades, the lubricant dries out into hard clay with dust and dirt. This can greatly prevent ease of camera movement as needed. A GOOD clean, re-lube and proper adjust will make the Norma good or better than new.
    Do a search on LFF, there is good information on proper clean/lube/adjust archived on LFF.

If this Norma still has the original bellows, it will likely have light leaks due to age and more. Get a GOOD modern Sinar 4x5 bellows as a replacement, if from an eBay seller, make sure there are rights of return and seller states the bellows is in GOOD condition. Given these bellows were made-sold for decades, the standard square bellows comes in a few versions.

The original Norma tapered bellows (as on this Norma just purchased) is made of leather, supple, durable and allows more extension and ease of camera movement compared to later versions of the Sinar 4x5 bellows. Custom Bellows in the UK can make them new today.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ma-(4x5)/page7
    Post# 68

This is what the second version or first version of the Sinar square bellows looks like. The frame does not have a cut out. Bellows material is moderately flexible, durable but not as flexi and camera movement accommodating as the original Norma bellows. Functionally, GOOD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar 4x5, bellows early.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	220929

Last production version of the Sinar 4x5 square bellows has a cut out in the center of the bellows frame. Bellows material is stiffer but way durable and essentially tough and rugged. Functionally Good enough.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar 4x5 bellows, later.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	220930

Used both version over many years, there is not a lot of functional difference. Never tried to over extend any of these bellows, if more bellows/camera extension is needed, add Sinar standards and as many bellows with rail as needed.

Horseman L series bellows work identical to Sinar on the Norma.

Bernice

After listening to all the good advice I made the plunge - Norma it is!
    Made the ebay purchase (after many questions to the seller, who took it all with humor and grace), hopefully all will go well!

Download of original Sinar Norma Brochure (1970 dated) -- Shows some of the accessories

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01033/01033.pdf
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 3-Nov-2021 at 13:37.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain