Thread: Hello from Williamsburg, KY - just about to jump into the LF pool!

Hello from Williamsburg, KY - just about to jump into the LF pool!

Hello all, I'm excited to join this forum! Soon I will purchase my first large format (4x5) to get the artistic controls that can't be gained via the medium format cameras I've used. LF is a great match for the slow and meticulous way (some would say obsessive!) I like to photo. I'm planning on using LF for landscapes and macro (plants and flowers, 1:1-1:2 typically).
    After reading countless articles in this forum (thank you!) I think either the Horseman 45FA or Wista 45SP will work (in my price range, tough enough for mountain trails, easy adjustments, and just enough extension for macro). They are a bit heavy, but no heavier than the mamiya 645 1000s + metering prism + 120mm macro lens + 2-3 other lenses I've hauled around! I'm looking forward to using the movements to get that narrow DOF just right in my macro photos and other creative controls. Also, I like the idea of applying the zone system for the photos and in the darkroom (my new happy place!).

Re: Hello from Williamsburg, KY - just about to jump into the LF pool!

Welcome!
    Tin Can

Sounds like an exciting move for you. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Howdy (almost) neighbor (I'm down here in Knoxville). I'm a relatively newby to LF myself (though not to thrashing about in the Southern Highlands) so I'm sure you'll find LFPF a great resource.

I will say that I might get some feedback on your plans for "close-up" photography out in the field before you buy. Horseman technical cameras are a great, compact option for a pack camera but I suspect that you'll find that rear movements might be limited in comparison to what you might need, not to mention requiring a bit of faffing about to use.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Howdy (almost) neighbor (I'm down here in Knoxville). I'm a relatively newby to LF myself (though not to thrashing about in the Southern Highlands) so I'm sure you'll find LFPF a great resource.

I will say that I might get some feedback on your plans for "close-up" photography out in the field before you buy. Horseman technical cameras are a great, compact option for a pack camera but I suspect that you'll find that rear movements might be limited in comparison to what you might need, not to mention requiring a bit of faffing about to use.
    Hi, nice to meet you! I travel down to K'ville every once in awhile. Was raised there but now prefer the quiet rural life! If you get a chance, check out the hills of Eastern KY, trails are a lot less visited than the Smokies (with the exception of the most popular sites, and usually only during peak seasonal events).

Believe me, I've haunted the LFPF sites about which camera to choose, still agonizing over a choice (and reserve the right to change my mind!). Neither of these tech cameras have great rear movements. A true field camera would be best, but they've become very expensive and the ones I can afford are so flimsy, well, I don't think they'd survive a KY mountain season of photos. I'm leaning toward the Wista, despite the extra weight (a little longer bellows, maybe a bit better movement?). I welcome any and all suggestions from you folks who are experienced in LF!

Thanks 'Tin Can'! I'm glad to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Sounds like an exciting move for you. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Thanks, I'm thrilled to be here! I'm very much looking forward to seeing that first negative developed...

Welcome aboard! I made my first large-format negatives in 1976 or so, and I'm still at it. So you see it can be rewarding/addicting. don't be afraid to show your work here, when you have any; this is a very supportive group here.

Thanks Mark, I look forward to sharing my LF photos and receiving feedback. I'm a very enthusiastic amateur always striving to reach the vision/ideal of the picture in my head realized on film. There's a long ways to go, I'm enjoying the journey!