Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 355mm G-Claron verses 14" GOERZ WA Process Blue Dot TRIGOR

355mm G-Claron verses 14" GOERZ WA Process Blue Dot TRIGOR

Presently I use a 355mm f/9 Schneider G-Claron on my 11x14. I have always been intrigued by a 14" f/11 GOERZ WA Process Blue Dot TRIGOR since regretting on passing up on one many years ago. Now I am 100% satisfied with my G-Claron on my 11x14. Shoot B&W and make contact prints only. My guess is that acquiring a 14" Blue Dot would be of little benefit to me.... Comments appreciated.

Also I thought that only Schneider offered Trigors. Again comments appreciated?

thanks

Lachlan 717

Re: 355mm G-Claron verses 14" GOERZ WA Process Blue Dot TRIGOR

“I am 100% satisfied with my G Claron”.

Ergo no lens can improve on it for your use case. Seems a moot question.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Why not get a lens of longer or shorter focal length than the 355mm.

Years ago I did some testing of a 14" Kern (swiss) Gold-Dot Dagor and a 14" Kern Blue-Dot Trigor, for the 11x14 format. The Trigor won hands-down due to its flatter field, not to mention stunning sharpness/contrast.

A bit later, I sold the Trigor and eventually purchased a new 305mm G-Claron (latest plasmat formula), and I could not be happier. The 305 actually covers 11x14 at infinity...and also compares very favorably to other lenses in my current lineup, which, among others, includes the Schneider 110XL, 150-L, and 210mm Rodenstock Sironar-S (lenses which I use for 4x5 and 5x7 formats).

At any rate...while I do admit that, yes - the Trigor (especially a late Kern manufactured example) is indeed a very intriguing lens...I would be very happy with your 355mm G-Claron pressed into service for the 11x14 format.

(Shrek)

Life is short. If you want to try the Trigor, buy one. If you don't like it, sell it.

You'll never see any resolution differences in a contact print. Which basically leaves contrast and coverage. Any differences in lens contrast would be easily controlled in the printing process. Coverage- are you running out of it now? Would the Goerz lens offer more?

The blue dot Trigor may be a legendary optic... but there ain't no magic bullet.

Drew Wiley

The 14 inch Kern Dagor is a different animal altogether from a 14 inch barrel process WA Trigor, especially with respect to usable image circle. It's a very nice optic for 8x10, but I wouldn't call it suitable for anything bigger. The reason the older f/7.7 14" Dagors seemed to have larger coverage is that, being in bigger shutters than the no.3 of the later Kern versions, there was simply less mechanical vignetting. And those often being employed in relation to contact printing, nobody seemed to find a certain amount of qualitative diminishment toward the outer portion of the circle annoying. But it's an involved topic not directly related to this thread. The 14 inch blue dot Trigor can allegedly be fitted into a no. 3 Copal S and is reputed to have a very large circle; but it's a different optic to begin with. If I stumbled onto an mothballed old process camera with one on it, well, I could probably buy the whole nine yards for a fraction of the price of the lens alone from someone who associated it with cult status.

100% satisfied with the G-Claron making contact prints..

IMO, there would be absolutely ZERO difference or improvement with a 14" Blue Dot Trigor. Been there had this Goerz lens, It has higher contrast than a 360mm f5.6 Sironar N and produced "snappier" color transparencies at f22. Did this difference render the 360mm f5.6 Sironar N inferior to the Blue Dot Trigor, no.

Lenses alone are never a "magic" image maker.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Now I am 100% satisfied with my G-Claron on my 11x14. Shoot B&W and make contact prints only. My guess is that acquiring a 14" Blue Dot would be of little benefit to me.... Comments appreciated.

thanks

Drew Wiley

G-Clarons are especially well corrected for close-up work (as well as excellent at infinity), if that's a needed feature. Probably the Trigor is too. Better in that respect than general-purpose studio plasmats.

Yes, they are. Still cannot believe moving from the G-Claron to Blue Dot Trigor would make any significant difference with a contact printed 11x14.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    G-Clarons are especially well corrected for close-up work (as well as excellent at infinity), if that's a needed feature. Probably the Trigor is too. Better in that respect than general-purpose studio plasmats.