Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Conference / University of New Mexico

Re: Large Format Conference / University of New Mexico

...Steve hosted yet another LF conference in Springfield, Mass (I had a table there, and hung some work in the exhibit hall) - in '05 if I remember correctly.

Lots of great folks there...Richard Ritter with a then-new ultra wide LF (7x17?) - Barb Lowry from Cooke Optics, A nice Arca-Swiss table (showing the newly released Misura I believe), Blue Earth publishing, Lotus Camera had a nice setup also, plus loads more.

At any rate...nice to hear that Steve S. is doing well - and I wish him the best.

Thanks again to all who replied to my original post. That was an enjoyable and fun conference with some great memories. Now that I'm retired LF holds new interest for me! - Thanks again for the information surrounding Steve Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by aljackson View Post
    FrancisF, I did look over the Ireland Workshop you linked. There may have been a couple of those folks at the LF conference I was talking about. I also now remember
    we went to a studio in downtown Albuquerque and saw a demonstration of a 20x24 LF camera, and I think it was using Polaroid film?
    We almost saw the 20x24 Polaroid in use this particular year (in Sante Fe...2003?) -- the humidity difference was too great for the camera and they could not get it all light-tight for "Big Cameras on the Plaza". At least that is my memory of it.

After they determined that the 20x24 was a no-go, Dick Sullivan asked if any of the folks with the big cameras had any loaded holders to do a group shot from the stage. Apparently, I was the only one who did (or admitted it, anyway), so I took one with my tiny 8x10. Only had a 300mm lens -- could have used the 250 I have now.

Image from an 8x10 silver gelatin contact print...That is Steve S. holding up a couple copies of View Camera Magazine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Camera Day.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Steve Simmons runs a group on that Meta app and is quite active there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    We almost saw the 20x24 Polaroid in use this particular year (in Sante Fe...2003?) -- the humidity difference was too great for the camera and they could not get it all light-tight for "Big Cameras on the Plaza". At least that is my memory of it.

After they determined that the 20x24 was a no-go, Dick Sullivan asked if any of the folks with the big cameras had any loaded holders to do a group shot from the stage. Apparently, I was the only one who did (or admitted it, anyway), so I took one with my tiny 8x10. Only had a 300mm lens -- could have used the 250 I have now.

Image from an 8x10 silver gelatin contact print...That is Steve S. holding up a couple copies of View Camera Magazine.
    Ah, THAT was 2001, and part of APIS. The problem with the 20x24 was that it was one of Wisners versions of the Polaroid. They were barely light-tight enough for use INDOORS. (fact not snark)
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

When giants roamed the earth....

Steve Sherman is conducting a workshop conference this fall in Connecticut , many of us here have gone to his place for these and he is quite the host.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Steve Sherman is conducting a workshop conference this fall in Connecticut , many of us here have gone to his place for these and he is quite the host.
    Wish we had one up here. We may not have the numbers but we would make up for it haha, and the US dollar goes very far up here lol. Think Rob Skeoch organized some informal ones when he ran BigCameraWorkshops.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I ran one about 4 years ago and about 6 people from APUG and this Forum showed up, The first one I ran in 2006 had over 200 people attend from all ports.
    Steve Sherman'sis intimate and well run and probably the closest thing to the old style conferences. And of course there is Photostock which Bill Schwab organizes most years in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I ran one about 4 years ago and about 6 people from APUG and this Forum showed up, The first one I ran in 2006 had over 200 people attend from all ports.
    Steve Sherman'sis intimate and well run and probably the closest thing to the old style conferences. And of course there is Photostock which Bill Schwab organizes most years in Michigan.
    Yeah, I remember the first one when you had the lab on Industrial, was a good time. I don't spend much time anymore at whatever APUG has become. Always wanted to go to Photostock but pandemic...maybe after I retire, whenever that will be lol But would like something bit more casual and low key, with loose workshops, and closer to home.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...