Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with routing a centered through slot for 20x24 front standard

Help with routing a centered through slot for 20x24 front standard

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm working on a new 20x24. I have minimal space and work mainly with basic hand and power tools and I don't have a router table. I need to cut two centered through slots in two pieces of oak for the front standard's rise and fall. Currently, it just has front tilt via two holes but I'd love slots instead because I anticipate rise and fall being particularly useful for this camera. If anyone here with woodworking skills and a router table would be open to slotting the wood for me it would be a big help! I don't know anyone where I am that can do it. It's standard red or white oak from Home Depot and I can provide the measurements. If you're able to help, please send me a message. I'm in San Diego by the way-- trying to keep it in the general region if possible for ease of shipping. Thanks much. Photo of the work in progress 20x24 below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024_progress.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	220727

Re: Help with routing a centered through slot for 20x24 front standard

You can drill two holes at the ends of your slots then use a coping saw to remove the wood between and a wood rasp to clean up the cut when done.

A local cabinet shop should be able to do it...

You should ask Santa for a router... Or you can redesign FS so upper and lower rise supports nest together, slide up/down, and lock with an external band (like a wooden tripod leg)...

You want strong/stiff there, as the bellows will pull with some tension on lock, and you might have a beast of a time to prevent a single pivoting lock from moving around even after locking down... If tilt + rise is desired, suggesting having an independent lock separate for each of those functions, maybe even two locking knobs (on each side) to secure to prevent movement from "wandering"...

Steve K

After drilling holes at each end of the slot, the channel between them can be layed out and cut with a chisel. Clamping a guide along the outside edge of the slot simplifies the task.

This is basically what I do in metal and plywood, drill 2 small holes for a new specific blade in hand jigsaw

Works on sinks and more!

Usually 4 holes

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    You can drill two holes at the ends of your slots then use a coping saw to remove the wood between and a wood rasp to clean up the cut when done.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    After drilling holes at each end of the slot, the channel between them can be layed out and cut with a chisel. Clamping a guide along the outside edge of the slot simplifies the task.
    yep, to make the chiseling more easy, draw deep lines at each side of the slot with a knife (against a ruler) to get clean straight chiseled out cuts. Do the same a few times over depending on the thickness of the wood:

My Flickr

Hi Francesco - do you want make the drive over to Palm Springs to my place some Saturday. Might be better in person seeing your camera build and other options might be present. I designed/built my 8 x 20 and there might be some details I used that could be useful to you.

Dan

Drew Wiley

Oh my, life without a router table or plunge router ... I'll never go back to that. But I have wondered if a termite can be sobered up enough to walk and chew a straight line. Nothing is worse than a cheap, flimsy, lightweight, vibrating router table; they're outright dangerous. But I finally have my dream one.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Oh my, life without a router table or plunge router ... I'll never go back to that.
    With all due respect, what a pity....much more control and fun when doing it the 1850-s way.....and hardly any noise and dust :-)

My Flickr

A friend with a router table ended up getting back to me. He’s gonna take care of it for me. Thanks for the ideas all but it’s taken care of now.