Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pronto Shutter

Pronto Shutter

All,
    I am aware that this isn't LF, but as it is somewhat similar, I will post. Forgive me if this is not appropriate.

A couple of days ago, I aquired an old Balda folder. It has a rodenstock Trinar-Anastagmatic 105mm lens, in a Pronto Shutter. The shutter has the speeds of 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, B, T. I cleaned up the lens, and it looks almost like new. The shutter however, although being cosmetically excellent, has issues. One of the shutter curtains does not operate, and the other doesn't like to =). I removed the shutter, and the lens, and tried to clean the tar-like substance out of the mechanicals...However, I was unable to remove the 4 screws on the back plate to gain better access (It seems someone else tried to before myself, and buggered up the screws). Any thoughts ? I suppose I can drill out the screws, but as you are aware, they are VERY small. I suppose at this point, I should be looking for a replacement, as I don't believe it would be cost-effective to ship this one to be repaired (I paid $15 for the camera....)

Thanks !

Pronto Shutter

After removing the lens elements, assuming the shutter blades are metal, you might try giving the shutter a good dousing in lighter fluid (naptha). There are several past threads on cleaning shutters you can find via the search function that may help.

Pronto Shutter

Thanks Mr. Barker. I did let this sit overnight in fluid...Got the selftimer unstuck, but its almost as if the spring is not connected properly to the shutter as the bald will move with gravity.

Pronto Shutter

It sounds as if the shutter may need repair, Steve. As such, you might want to get further advice from one of the medium-format forums where there will be more users of similar cameras.

Pronto Shutter

Mr. Barker,
    Well I found the problem - I was finally able to get into the shutter. The bottom of one of the leafs is cracked...So it seems as if Im out of luck...

Thanks again,
    Steve

Pronto Shutter

If you want to replace one of the blades: I've heard on the german LF website of a place in Germany where you can possible get spare blades:

Fotomechanik Kielgas

Reparaturen von Fotogeräten

Baumstr. 19

30171 Hannover

Telefon: 0511 814699

Other than that: a new Pronto shutter shouldn't be too hard to find, should it?

Good luck, norm

Pronto Shutter

If you try to find a "Pronto" shutter you will fail. They are Prontor shutters and Schneider was the last importer I think. You might contact them and see if they have one or if they have repair parts.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/press_releases/pdf/prontor_shutters_repair_support.pdf

Steve

Pronto Shutter

Steve, IIRC Pronto was one of Prontor's economy shutters. So were Vario and Varo. Prontor's names are almost as confusing as Graflex'.

Pronto Shutter

The shutters are indeed called Pronto and not Prontor - we have both models. Both made by AGC - Alfred Gauthier in Calmbach. I think the Pronto versions were the cheaper ones - and possibly widely available. We have mounted our 150mm G-Claron in an old Pronto and it fits right away - no machining necessary like with some synchro compurs. And who needs these fast times anyway ;-) ??

For Steve H's problem we'd suggest hunting down another cheap folder with a Pronto shutter, like old Billy's - there must be an endless supply of replacements on eBay and other flea markets.

HTH, Norm

Pronto Shutter

Steve H,

Try ( www.dmarr.com/shutters ) for Pronto shutters.

Have fun with it.