Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst 138s lensboard question

Durst 138s lensboard question

I have a Durst 138s enlarger that is equipped with the Tripla rotating lensboard. I recently picked up a 90mm Schneider APO-Componon lens with 39mm Leica thread mount that I would like to use but the rear element of the lens sticks out preventing the Tripla lensboard from rotating. Does anyone know if there is a Durst lensboard that will accommodate this lens? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Drew Wiley

Re: Durst 138s lensboard question

Some 39mm thread rings have a distinct cone-like projection, but I can't recall right off the top of my head the specific Durst code for it. Otherwise, it would be easy for any machinist to make one.

Try this link, about half way down there is a description of the common lens boards available for the Durst 138s Tripla lensboard

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.phot.../c/cWlZYGFfNm0

Drew Wiley

"Vegatub 39" ... Sounds like something I saw on the cooking network, complete with cabbage shredding attachment.

Mounting contemporary lenses to the Tripla can be a challenge. The Tripla was primarily intended to be fitted with the silver Componon lenses in various cones. Turns out these cones only fit the older silver lenses.

I was, however, able to mount these newer lenses, with a lot of e-bay searching for mounts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three componon-s tripla smaller.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	220716
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240mmComponon-s.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	220717

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    "Vegatub 39" ... Sounds like something I saw on the cooking network, complete with cabbage shredding attachment.
    I wasn't sure about it either when I saw the reference but I had to Google it to make sure and it is for the M605, M670 and M70 enlargers.

Somewhere I came across the Roding lens boards and I needed one of them with a 58mm hole to mount my Rodagon 210mm lens to the Tripla. There is a Roding 3917 which I think would be a 39mm thread but I can not find any references to the Roding lens board to determine if it is a extended cone or flat board. The Rodings were for Rodenstock lenses and came in 3917, 5071, 5072, 58 and 72 according to the Durst catalog. Schneider had a series of boards identified as Soring that I think were extended cones 3975, 50, 5023 and 66.

Drew Wiley

I'll have to look at my drawer of Durst odds n' ends to see if I have a Roding in there, and measure it. One problem is that the turret itself changed over time, with one series of rings slightly smaller in overall diameter than the other. The smaller series would fit both turret designs, but had to be more carefully tightened in place or you'd potentially get a light leak around the circumference of the ring itself. But the later larger rings fit only the expressly matched turret design. Admittedly, it can get confusing.

The gist of the problem goes back to cross-compatibility or not with certain of their smaller enlargers, just like Gord insinuated. And I don't have any of those smaller machines, but have accidentally wound up with one of their slightly different lens rings, and realized it has to be used a little differently in a large format turret.

Otherwise - Componon, Componon S, Rodagon, Apo Rodagon N, El Nikkor - every one of them no problem adapting to the turret with a standard ring, mostly either 39mm (Lapla 36) or 50mm thread (Lapla 50), that is, until the lens just get too big in diameter, like my huge El Nikkor 360/5.6. My f/9 Apo Nikkors needed a custom adapter. And then there are recessed versions for tiny short focal length lenses.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I found this but they don't list the particular lens I have.
    https://customphototools.com/durst-enlarger-lensboards/
    It looks like they could fabricate a lens board for me if I gave them the distance that the rear element protrudes prohibiting the Tripla from rotating.
    Does anyone have any experience buying from them?

Quote Originally Posted by tulowulo View Post
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I found this but they don't list the particular lens I have.
    https://customphototools.com/durst-enlarger-lensboards/
    It looks like they could fabricate a lens board for me if I gave them the distance that the rear element protrudes prohibiting the Tripla from rotating.
    Does anyone have any experience buying from them?
    I do. Jose is fast and reliable in my experience.
    Had 3 or 4 rings made so far, one was uncommon sized, all are a nice fit to my lenses.