I'm starting to move over to large format to medium format landscape photography. I almost exclusively shoot black and white with the end goal of producing a silver gelatin print (up to 16x20"). My most commonly used lens for landscape type work in medium format is a 50mm-55mm f4.5 so I would be looking at getting a 90mm for a wide angle.

I like to get up to shoot a location well before the sun comes up so I can catch the early morning glow (and to avoid people). I am often setting up while the first hints of morning light start to show and I usually leave once the sun is fully over the horizon.

My current lens is a 161mm f4.5 which I found to be extremely difficult to compose and focus on my Calumet cc-400 ground glass. I replaced the ground glass with a "cheap" fresnel lens off ebay which has aided greatly, but isn't perfect. I am on a wait list for a Chamonix fn-2 which I assume will have a much brighter and nicer viewing experience.

Ideally I would like to get an f8 (or f6.8) lens for size, weight, and cost over a f5.6/f4.5 90mm lens. I am a bit concerned that the ground glass experience (even on the Chamonix) may be a bit too dark for my use case, but I wanted to hear what some people thought about it.