Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

Re: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by cirwin2010 View Post
    Prefocusing the day before is not really an option for me with how I plan my trips (short couple hour trips for now). Shining a light on my subject at night sounds pretty amusing but may actually work for a few scenes, though I'm not sure I'm brave enough for that for some others.
    A TravelWide90 or a WillTravel from ebay comes pre focused. I have 58 and 65 on each of mine, using 4x5" and 6x12cm film.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Re: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

I've had great luck with my 90mm f/6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon-N. A wee bit brighter than f/8 which does help in focussing, plus very close to the compactness/weight of most 90 f/8 lenses. Nice and sharp...will cover 5x7 at infinity if used with care. A perfect compromise IMHO.

Drew Wiley

Infinity shots are pretty easy, or setting up a little bit early if foreground tilts are needed. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I rarely carry lenses brighter than f/9, and for ny wide angle lens generally had a CF in place, plus maybe a contrast filter - even dimmer viewing. Helps to have a good ground glass; I've never liked fresnels. I always aim for acute focus in large format work, never hyperfocal. Your eyes need to be adjusted to dim light when focusing under the cloth; that's important. Wear sunglasses if turning your head toward the setting sun or a bright camp stove or campfire.

There are often details that are brightly lit and focus well. I find that an 8/90 is enough. Furthermore, the focal length is short. The depth of field is large. You can also invest in Fresnel screens and good loupes.

In my opinion, with this focal length, the question of whether you need a center filter is also crucial. Because the center filter often costs more than the lens. I would take the lens for which you do not need a center filter. Maybe that is the lens with the smaller image circle. But at 90 mm you don't need a very large image circle, 216 mm is enough.

It is also important how the lens reacts to backlight. If the lens has a good coating: great! I can highly recommend the Fuji EBC. The Fujinon NSW 8/90 is an excellent lens with 216mm image circle and moderate vignetting. It fits 67mm filters.

- The Fujinon SWD 5.6/90 is more expensive, has 236mm image circle, a filter size of 82mm, and it needs a center filter for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    In normal daylight, wearing dark sunglasses before getting under the cloth speeds up light adaptation a bit...
    Oh, why haven’t I thought of that! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    In my opinion, with this focal length, the question of whether you need a center filter is also crucial. Because the center filter often costs more than the lens. I would take the lens for which you do not need a center filter.
    Hi,

I'm curious about this. What tells you that one 90mm lens needs a centre filter and one doesn't? There are some design differences between lenses that may have a bearing on this (e.g. Schneider Super-Symmar XL vs Rodenstock Grandagon-N lenses), but it sounds like you're talking about other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Hi,

I'm curious about this. What tells you that one 90mm lens needs a centre filter and one doesn't? There are some design differences between lenses that may have a bearing on this (e.g. Schneider Super-Symmar XL vs Rodenstock Grandagon-N lenses), but it sounds like you're talking about other factors.
    They all need one but not all lens companies offered one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    They all need one but not all lens companies offered one.
    Yes, but I think that he's talking about something else. He says that one of the Fuji lenses needs a centre filter.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Yes, but I think that he's talking about something else. He says that one of the Fuji lenses needs a centre filter.
    Of course it does, it is a wide angle and has the same falloff as all of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Of course it does, it is a wide angle and has the same falloff as all of the others.
    Just curious about what distinction Daniel is drawing.