Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identify cloud-like artifacts on film

Question Help identify cloud-like artifacts on film

Greetings,

not always, from time to time, I'm discovering these cloud-like artifacts on my 4x5 film shots. They are present on the film itself, its not a scanning artifacts. Artifacts are present on different film types(first photo is EKTAR100 color negative, second(rock) is EKTACHROME E100 slide). These 2 shots were done with different cameras and lens but with the same film holder(2 sided TOYO).

Cloud-like artifact pattern is always different on every frame that have them.

First color and second BW images are the same. 2nd is just one color channel with curves adjustments, to make artifacts more visible. On the BW image you can notice, that cloud-like artifacts have quiet the same silhouette like exposed part of the frame but with offset. Silhouette - I mean inner ledge for holding the film.

On the first photo, artifact structure on the right side of the frame is more shallow than on the rest of the frame.

Please, help with identifying the nature of this strange "noise" or "clouds".

Thank you in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apteka.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	220663

Name:	apteka2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	220664

Name:	3.1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	220665

Re: Help identify cloud-like artifacts on film

Just a guess but it looks the pictures are overlaid with a secondary image coming from a pinhole in the lens board or bellows.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by mr.A View Post
    Greetings,

not always, from time to time, I'm discovering these cloud-like artifacts on my 4x5 film shots. They are present on the film itself, its not a scanning artifacts. Artifacts are present on different film types(first photo is EKTAR100 color negative, second(rock) is EKTACHROME E100 slide). These 2 shots were done with different cameras and lens but with the same film holder(2 sided TOYO).

Cloud-like artifact pattern is always different on every frame that have them.

First color and second BW images are the same. 2nd is just one color channel with curves adjustments, to make artifacts more visible. On the BW image you can notice, that cloud-like artifacts have quiet the same silhouette like exposed part of the frame but with offset. Silhouette - I mean inner ledge for holding the film.

On the first photo, artifact structure on the right side of the frame is more shallow than on the rest of the frame.

Please, help with identifying the nature of this strange "noise" or "clouds".

Thank you in advance!
    Questions: who developed the film? And, is the film expired?

These 2 photos done with different cameras, so i think the problem is not with the camera.

These photos share the same TOYO film holder, the same lab where i took them to develop, and my bathroom where i load the film(these frames were loaded separately).

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Questions: who developed the film? And, is the film expired?
    The film is fresh.
    I took all these photos to the same lab to develop. These 2 photos were developed separately.

Storage too moist? Do you keep your film in the freezer? Radiation?

Looks like it had some out of focus exposure and was then double exposed. The 2nd image might show the film shifting in the film holder between uses.

Toyo had an issue with film holders that had non light tight dark slides about five years ago - this looks like that issue. If the holder is new take it back to the dealer. I think there was a product recall at the time.

This was the thread 'blotchy pattern on 4x5 negatives'

https://www.largeformatphotography.i.../t-131636.html

Tobias has your answer: darkslides that are not opaque. That was my first impression upon seeing the photos and the fact that you have Toyo holders and they had this problem confirms it almost 100%.

You should be able to get replacement darkslides or new holders from your dealer if you bought these new.

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    Toyo had an issue with film holders that had non light tight dark slides about five years ago - this looks like that issue. If the holder is new take it back to the dealer. I think there was a product recall at the time.

This was the thread 'blotchy pattern on 4x5 negatives'

https://www.largeformatphotography.i.../t-131636.html
    Thank you for this thread, Tobias!
    I did the test and found that all of my dark slides are not opaque.

Thanks everybody for your ideas and help, this puzzle was really curious

Name:	IMG_1370 (1) copy.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	220689