Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenance

Re: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenanc

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Clever idea. No effect on the sheet of film? Any brand in particular?
    This is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenanc

Threads merged.

I have no particular preference other than for ones that don't leak! Over the years, I've used Fidelity Elite and Toyo in 4x5 and Lisco Regal, Lisco Regal II, and Fidelity Elite in 8x10. I do appreciate the dull and more textured finish of the Lisco Regal II dark slides; just seem to attract less dust/debris. One brand/series of the older holders I own had square corners (8x10) and I much prefer the rounded corners for easier insertion into the camera. I used nearly all of 'em for 40+ years and only a couple have had light leak issues. Once loaded, I store a single holder in a Ziplock bag which is then put into various carriers that I own.

My 4x5 and 8x10 holders happen to be Fidelity/Fidelity Elite ones. If you don't drop them, bend the dark slide, or get them very wet, they should last a long time.

Keep them in some sort of bag when not actually in use. I find regular zip-lock style works, but I am not in a dusty, dry environment. If you are, an anti-static bag might be better.

By some standards my collection of large format film holders is small at around 30 holders of various brands. I can't say I have any that are bad. Over the years I suspect all my light strikes and out of focus images were from improper loading or improper seating of the film holder on the camera. Nothing to blame on the film holder.

I still have never used one of those NEW 8x10 holders made of wood that cost $300 each. I almost bought one a few months ago, but found TWO NEW plastic Lisco for $200. So even in this market, the new wood ones are a little over priced for me.

I use Toyo holders. I'm happy with them, but don't want to argue that Toyo's are "better" than other brands. I recall quite a few complaints at one point about the smell of new Toyo 8x10 holders, attributed to outgassing. My Toyo 8x10 holders were purchased as new old stock. No smell. If there was any outgassing, it was over by the time I got them

Quote Originally Posted by Ig Nacio View Post
    How do you keep holders in good shape?
    I agree with Peter who said “the best care is to keep them from getting dirty.”

You might call me a fanatic about this, and you might be right. It’s an issue I might even bring up with my psychologist, if I had one. Here’s the evidence I’d share while on the couch:

1. First, I purchased new (or “like-new”) holders that really didn’t need any initial cleaning in the first place. I carefully cleaned them anyway. And I mean every speck of dust I could see upon the closest inspection. Then into a new zip-lock bag it goes. I place individual holders, in their individual bags, into another larger one – for storage.

2. When it’s time for loading, I first clean my work area of dust. Mainly, this simply means wiping or lightly sponging my work surface where the holders will sit. (And if it’s convenient, I’ll load them sometime after taking a shower. No, not to clean myself before loading, though that may be an unintended benefit! It’s to knock dust/static electricity out of the air, a problem in my work area.)

3. After loading a holder, I’ll return it to its zip-lock bag, and place it with any others in a larger bag – ready for my next field trip.

4. In the field, I minimize the time a holder is in the air. (This, I think, is among the most neglected of field habits, even by the most careful of photographers.) Only when I’m ready for a click do I remove the holder from its bag. And after the click, back into the zip-lock bag it goes. Immediately.

5. When I’m back home, and it’s time to unload, my first step is to wipe-off the outside of the bags, especially if I’ve visited a windy-dusty landscape. This is yet another overlooked habit that can make a difference. I then repeat Step 2 before final unloading…

“Dust-on-the-film” has become no more than a rare occurrence. (Managing dust in the darkroom, or while scanning, is another story.) And I’ve never had to re-clean the holders, at least nothing more than a few careful wipes w/ anti-static, lint-free material. And that’s to remove the few specks of dust from the field that can only have landed on the holder during its few precious moments in the air, or those longer moments when waiting for the wind or light to improve.

Honestly, my experience with sheet film holders is limited---mine are all old and second or third (fourth?) hand
    For 4x5 my all time favorites are older Riteways--as close to bullet proof as it gets.
    My preferred 8x10 are black wooden ones marked Graflex made for Eastman Kodaks because these have given me the least amount of grief.
    Older plastic Liscos have also served me well, but those Graflex rock!
    For 5x7 Agfa holders seem very well made. I've divested of all my 8x10 Agfa because I've noticed more issues as they aged and found them harder to repair than the Graflex and Lisco 8x10s in my kit. For some unfathomable reason 5x7 Agfa holders hold up better in my humble opinion.

For maintenance I have a dedicated mini Shop Vac with micro(?) attachments for cleaning. I prefer vacuum to blowing dust around.
    I store film holders, loaded or empty, in zip locks.
    When dark slides stick find that I can remedy the issue with a very modest bit of wax rubbed onto the edges of the mischievous dark slides.

Injuries to plastic film holders can be healed with 2 part epoxy colored with black paint and dressed down to the original thickness.
    Missing locking Ells can be replaced easy enough on wooden holders. My local ACE hardware has 'em with the fasteners.
    Hinged light traps can be re-taped. I've used gaffer's tape(because that's what I have on hand) but book binder's tape is the correct stuff to use. The wooden flaps are very fragile and will break, so be extra careful.

I also keep a Cannibal Box of broken, worn film holders to supply needed parts to keep my fleet afloat.
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 23-Oct-2021 at 15:13.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have way too many holders--dozens--because I bought cheap and couldn't resist, and consequently I have mostly wood, with zero problems. I can say, however, that a beat up old wood holder is a lot more attractive than a beat up old plastic one. Also, in my experience, on wood it's easier to retape the end flaps.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    I have way too many holders--dozens--because I bought cheap and couldn't resist, and consequently I have mostly wood, with zero problems. I can say, however, that a beat up old wood holder is a lot more attractive than a beat up old plastic one. Also, in my experience, on wood it's easier to retape the end flaps.
    Years ago, Clayton Classic Camera that advertised in the old Shutterbug used to send me a stack of old wood 8x10s for like $35 and let me trade in any leakers I might have discovered.
    Those were the days!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White