Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenance

Re: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenanc

I've only ever used plastic ones, but that include at least Fidelity, Lisco, and Toyo. I've never seen a meaningful quality or functional difference between them, so they're all fine to me. The only wierd ones were the 6.5x9 Linhof holders that had some clever ideas like a lever on the side to push the film out, but were a little bit annoying to load (that may have more to do with the fact that I was using home cut film.) I see wood ones a lot but they frequently seem a bit worn, so I can't say how good they are. (I currently have 5 8x10 holders, 25 4x5 holders, 6 2.25x3.25, and 3 6.5x9 holders)

Re: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenanc

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I've only ever used plastic ones, but that include at least Fidelity, Lisco, and Toyo. I've never seen a meaningful quality or functional difference between them, so they're all fine to me. The only wierd ones were the 6.5x9 Linhof holders that had some clever ideas like a lever on the side to push the film out, but were a little bit annoying to load (that may have more to do with the fact that I was using home cut film.) I see wood ones a lot but they frequently seem a bit worn, so I can't say how good they are. (I currently have 5 8x10 holders, 25 4x5 holders, 6 2.25x3.25, and 3 6.5x9 holders)
    Those LInhof ones were the glass plate/sheet film holders and the reason for the lever was to start to push the glass plates out so you could grip them without scratching the emulsion.
    LInhof sheet film holders did not have the lever or the spacing plate.

I have two DDS NOS 1895 5X7 plate holders with tucked side levers for assist with plate

And 4 Mamiya 2X3 copies of the Linhof, plate or film

They even work on RB
    Tin Can

I only have Fidelity elite and Toyo. For me, film position in the Fidelity is easier, always in the right spot, whereas the Toyo has more space to miss dead-centre. The toyo, with its slight texture on the film bed and slide does better in warm weather to avoid film sticking, though. Happy to have both and have never tried anything else.
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

Re: Sheet film holders 4x5 - Some advice needed

I have used Graphmatic Magazines for almost as long as I have been using 4x5 film. Each sheet of film is slid into a thin metal "septum" then six of these are loaded into the Magazine. When working, after the magazine is inserted into the camera the dark slide is pulled out 'till it stops with a "click" then it is pushed back in as far as it will go and the film is exposed. With a little "slight of hand" the magazine is cycled causing the film in its septum to be pushed to the rear of the holder then the holder is pushed back together leaving a fresh sheet of film at the top of the stack, at the same time a counter is advanced so that the photographer knows how many sheets have been exposed. This is all much more easily done than described. You can cary 6 sheets of film in the space normally occupied by two holders. Another advantage is that there is only one dark slide, and it is metal which is less likely to hold a static charge and therefore is less likely to attract dust. I find them to be much easier to keep clean than standard film holders. Disadvantages are weight and that carefull handling is necessary to avoid bending the thin aluminium septa.

Platinum Frog

Re: Sheet film holders 4x5 - Some advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Frog View Post
    I have used Graphmatic Magazines for almost as long as I have been using 4x5 film.
    These Fujifilm film holders were sold from 1996-2005 as an improved Grafmatic, so I thought that I'd mention them: Fujifilm QuickChange Film Holders

They were made for the Japanese market, but were also sold by Robert White in the U.K. and possibly Badger Graphic in the U.S.

See posts 6 and 7, and the video in post #1, in particular.
    Last edited by r.e.; 4-Nov-2021 at 20:26.

I've found that for me, I prefer wooden holders Graflex/Kodak holders for 8x10 and 5x7. They're a little lighter, shorter in length, and less chance of static discharge than with plastic holders.
    When I get them in-hand, I now immediately replace the hinge tape before putting them into use. I also check each holder with a flashlight in a dark room to see if the light trap is damaged. Of course with wooden holders that have the metal bar and screws, you could disassemble them to service the light trap. No can do on plastic molded holders.
    For 4x5 though, I prefer plastic Lisco Regals or Fidelity Elites.

I use the Toyo 4x5 holders. I bought them all new. Each holder gets stored in its own individual ziplock bag at all times other than when making an image.

One other tip I got from someone here. Buy 13 of them. You can load a box of 25sheets all at once and use the spare on one side to house a half sheet dark slide that you can insert into any of the holders.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

^^^ Good tip!