Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenance

Re: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenanc

Grafmatics for me.
    Give them a CLA in the beginning. Then straighten the septums and make sure the little spring "fingers" that hold the film are doing their job.
    In use I go slow and gentle with them, no rapid fire stuff like the old press photographers did. The design is so good that a well adjusted 70 year old Grafmatic will work like new.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Re: Over the years - sheet film holders question - your most preferred and maintenanc

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    Grafmatics for me.
    Give them a CLA in the beginning. Then straighten the septums and make sure the little spring "fingers" that hold the film are doing their job.
    In use I go slow and gentle with them, no rapid fire stuff like the old press photographers did. The design is so good that a well adjusted 70 year old Grafmatic will work like new.
    I acquired a couple of these as part of a purchase, as well as a Fujifilm QuickChange Film Holder. It's about time that I tried them out.
    Last edited by r.e.; 1-Nov-2021 at 16:34.

Grafmatics for me.
    Agree
    Tin Can

Grafmatics for me.
    If they would work like new then they would work rapid fire like they did for press and sports in the day.
    I have a different perspective on them. It depends on who made them. Old Graphic, Singer Graflex or those idiots in FL tha bought the tools and name from Singer.
    LInhof used to sell a lot of them in Germany. When the guys in FL became the manufacturer LInhof asked us to buy them from the FL people as their agent. We did. And sent them on to LInhof, unopened, as received from FL.
    LInhof found that they were experiencing a defect rate greater then 70%. They then sent the defective ones to me to have them replaced or credited.
    FL simply was incapable of delivering working units and didn’t have money to credit us back for them.

So, if you end up with those FL ones, beware!

Bob,

How do you distinguish the FL ones from the earlier ones?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If they would work like new then they would work rapid fire like they did for press and sports in the day.
    I have a different perspective on them. It depends on who made them. Old Graphic, Singer Graflex or those idiots in FL tha bought the tools and name from Singer.
    LInhof used to sell a lot of them in Germany. When the guys in FL became the manufacturer LInhof asked us to buy them from the FL people as their agent. We did. And sent them on to LInhof, unopened, as received from FL.
    LInhof found that they were experiencing a defect rate greater then 70%. They then sent the defective ones to me to have them replaced or credited.
    FL simply was incapable of delivering working units and didn’t have money to credit us back for them.

So, if you end up with those FL ones, beware!

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Bob,

How do you distinguish the FL ones from the earlier ones?

Thanks
    Since they were on the same tools you can’t. Unless they have a FL label on them.

For 4x5, all of my holders are Grafmatics or Kinematics. Some came from the Air Force - Bob may have used them;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    For 4x5, all of my holders are Grafmatics or Kinematics. Some came from the Air Force - Bob may have used them;-)
    No, we used 5 and 9” roll film and occasionally some sheet film.

I have only Toyo holders in 4" * 5" (36 of them). Very stable and good quality.

I have not run into smelly Toyo holders, so it could be a specific batch, which had the smell problem.

They are bought between 1994 and 2008.

the differences must be so slight, ive never noticed. ive got just about every brand, they all work fine for me.