Thread: Heliar 21cm f/4.5 - barrel mounted

Heliar 21cm f/4.5 - barrel mounted

I'm looking at a Voigtländer Heliar 21cm f/4.5 for use with my Sinar F2 5x7 camera. The lens is a barrel type so it's not mounted in a shutter. Looks pretty straightforward. A bit like an SLR lens but with a thread at the rear instead of a bayonet. Apparently this is not uncommon for this lens. Can this mounted on a Sinar DB board for use with a Sinar auto aperture shutter? Would anyone know which lens board would fit the thread on the lens? I have looked around but found no specification of the thread.

Re: Heliar 21cm f/4.5 - barrel mounted

Easy and very commonly done.

Mount the Heilar or any similar barrel lens on to a Sinar lens board. Install on the Sinar front standard, use the lens barrel aperture as needed, use the Sinar shutter settings as needed. Ignore the lens aperture scale on the side of the Sinar shutter as it corresponds to Sinar DB/DBM mounted lenses only.

Example with a 210mm f3.5 Heilar on a Sinar P2 (makes zero difference for Sinar Norma, F/F1/F2, P/P2/X or ....).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210mm f3.5 Heilar_sinar P2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	220602

View of the lens rear and lens board, long as the lens barrel clears the Sinar DB/DBM aperture control pin, you're good. The rear of the lens can sit inside the Sinar shutter's opening which is about 15mm deep by ? diameter.

Name:	210mm f3.5 Heilar_sinar.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	220603

BTW, 5x7 Sinar F2 is a rare camera, curious to see a picture of this Sinar.

Bernice

Does a standard Sinar lens board fit on the shutter or only the DB boards?

Standard Sinar or Horseman or similar Sinar compatible lens boards work good. IMO, best Sinar lens boards are the last generation with "Sinar" cast into the front of the lens board. These have precision machined surfaces at all four corners to precisely and accurately locate the lens_lens board to the Sinar standard (front or rear).

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    Does a standard Sinar lens board fit on the shutter or only the DB boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Easy and very commonly done.

Mount the Heilar or any similar barrel lens on to a Sinar lens board. Install on the Sinar front standard, use the lens barrel aperture as needed, use the Sinar shutter settings as needed. Ignore the lens aperture scale on the side of the Sinar shutter as it corresponds to Sinar DB/DBM mounted lenses only.

Example with a 210mm f3.5 Heilar on a Sinar P2 (makes zero difference for Sinar Norma, F/F1/F2, P/P2/X or ....).

Name:	210mm f3.5 Heilar_sinar P2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	220602

View of the lens rear and lens board, long as the lens barrel clears the Sinar DB/DBM aperture control pin, you're good. The rear of the lens can sit inside the Sinar shutter's opening which is about 15mm deep by ? diameter.

Name:	210mm f3.5 Heilar_sinar.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	220603

BTW, 5x7 Sinar F2 is a rare camera, curious to see a picture of this Sinar.

Bernice
    I’ll try to take some pictures for you. I recently bought the camera. It’s a bit of a motley collection of Sinar parts.

The flange in the first picture you posted looks great. That may be what I’m looking for. The Heliars I find on eBay just show a thread at the rear end. I thought that it was necessary to find or make a lens plate with matching thread. Here is a picture:

Name:	B353C949-A2CF-4AD3-AB61-0AACDE096AD9.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	220625

The eBay listing has many pictures but none show a flange.

Does the thread on the lens screw into a matching thread on that flange?

Barrel lenses should have a flange, if no flange finding the proper flange could be difficult. Likely easier to have your local machine shop make a flange as needed. Alternative is to have the machine shop bore and thread the Sinar lens board to fit the specific lens (machine shop will need the lens barrel to do this. Remove the lens cells before leaving the lens barrel with the machinist to stop damage to the lens cells).

This is what's involved with mounting a much larger lens on a Sinar lens board. The 210mm Heilar is no where near this complex.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...r-board-part-1

Bernice

Here are pictures of the Sinar rig I’m using:

Name:	FFE02506-7A54-4BC5-AA50-E5A4C7F3877B.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	220658

Possible to get an image of the 5x7 rear standard with ground glass ?

Lens appears to be a Schneider Componon S maybe 300mm f5.6 ?
    no shutter.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by kunlun121 View Post
    Here are pictures of the Sinar rig I’m using:

Bernice, what are the mounts on the side and top of your front standard? Are they for holding a hot shoe spirit level? Thanks.

Sinar "hot shoe" add on accessory. Adjustable(single screw) to any location of the long slot of the standard (front or rear) any number of these can be added as needed until the entire slot is filled. This is used to hold the radio slave trigger unit and other similar hot shoe fitting accessories.

Name:	Sinar H.shoe.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	220706

Sinar standards(front or rear or accessory) already have levels, no reasons to add more of them.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Nasir View Post
    Bernice, what are the mounts on the side and top of your front standard? Are they for holding a hot shoe spirit level? Thanks.