Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Tripod Heads for 8x10

Re: Discussion on Tripod Heads for 8x10

I was a long time heavy duty ball head user until I bought this. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tilt_head.html. Supports my 4x5 and 5x12 with no problem
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Whatever head you get, not too much sense having a platform significantly bigger than the camera's base.
    Per post #1, this is for a monorail. I can confirm that an Arca-Swiss F-line 8x10 is solid on a Ries J 250 Double Tilt Head and J 100 tripod. However, I've started using a Miller fluid head (link in post #2 above). I get lots of mass without unnecessary width, and I can control the angle of the camera vertically and horizontally/panning with my index finger.

That was what I was thinking of. The extra real estate of the platform can get in the way. I appreciate the large area of contact of the Ries head with both my larger traditional folding field cameras.

I have a quick release (Gitzo ballhead) on my 5x7. I guess that is a different kettle of fish. I use it, but not 100% sure of it...the convience right now is appreciated enough to use it anyway, even tho I hike with the camera on the pod most of the time. The 11x14 is easy to get onto the head...and for some reason, easier than the 8x10, but don't think I'd use a QR for either one.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

8x10 Sinar Norma Julius Shulman Titlall Setup 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I hacked the original Leitz Tiltall and I'm digging it on the 8x10 Norma. I can easily lift and carry this in one hand (for short distances! BTW I will further hack this to strengthen certain points, the legs themselves are great and do the job! My Norma above is fitted with the 121mm f/8 Sinar Norma Super Angulon with lens automation. IMO the lens covers 18x24cm but that is fine for my uses. My Kodak Mammo film is 18x24 and I have 18x24 Norma holders

The main design point on the Tiltall is the big heavy plate.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Currently I use a FLM tripod with a Ries head and a 100mm bowl. Handles my 11x14 camera with ease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I also use use FLM with 100mm bowl, if I need more movement I add a Sinar head.
    Hugo and Randy, what model FLM tripod do both of you use? I am looking at either the FLM CP38-L4 II 10X Carbon Fiber Series II or the FLM Atlas 42-L4 Carbon Fiber Tripod with a Ries A200 head.

https://flmusa.com/product/flm-cp38-...-fiber-tripod/

https://flmusa.com/product/flm-atlas...-fiber-tripod/

Would either tripod be able to adequately manage the 6" crown size of the Ries A200 head? For reference purposes, I plan on using my Deardorff v8 with this tripod + head combination. Thanks in advance for your time.

Zachary

My old Burlbach tripod has a leveling center post. I have found that to have as much range of motion as I need with my Kodak 2D on it. So, I often just leave a pan/tilt head or the Bialhead at home and save the weight.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by zbvision View Post
    Hugo and Randy, what model FLM tripod do both of you use? I am looking at either the FLM CP38-L4 II 10X Carbon Fiber Series II or the FLM Atlas 42-L4 Carbon Fiber Tripod with a Ries A200 head.

https://flmusa.com/product/flm-cp38-...-fiber-tripod/

https://flmusa.com/product/flm-atlas...-fiber-tripod/

Would either tripod be able to adequately manage the 6" crown size of the Ries A200 head? For reference purposes, I plan on using my Deardorff v8 with this tripod + head combination. Thanks in advance for your time.

Zachary
    I use a Ries J250 head with my FLM Berlin 38 tripod.

FLM CP38-L4 II 10X Carbon Fiber Series II Tripod & 100mm 1/2 Ball

Sometimes SINAR Tilt Head with QR for more movement
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I use a Ries J250 head with my FLM Berlin 38 tripod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    FLM CP38-L4 II 10X Carbon Fiber Series II Tripod & 100mm 1/2 Ball

Sometimes SINAR Tilt Head with QR for more movement
    Hugo and Randy, I am on the fence as to whether I should purchase another carbon fiber tripod or whether I should try a wooden one (Ries or Berlebach). Reason I add this information is because I just got off the phone with the lead engineer from Ries Tripod and he asked me if I liked spending big money on 8x10 film. I asked why, he said and I quote "Carbon fiber tripods are not meant for formats larger than 4x5, any format larger and you are bound to get motion blur on your film." I have used a Gitzo systematic series 5 carbon fiber tripod with a Gitzo G1570M head on my Deardorff 4x5 Special and never had any issues with "motion blur." Is this just an aggressive sell tactic or is there some truth to this engineers words? I do not wish to make an impulsive decision and end up with any regrets. Have either of y'all tried a wooden support system for 8x10 and larger formats and if so, what were your independent experiences? I thought I'd go the carbon fiber route to save on weight, but now I no longer know....

Drew Wiley

Overwhelmingly, absolutely, no contest, the very best tripod head for large format work is NONE AT ALL. I gave up using them for view camera work 35 years ago, and never looked back. With Sinar monorails, I do still use the rail clamp device, but directly bolted to the top of the tripod platform itself, with nothing intervening. With flatbed cameras, the whole camera is directly bolted to a platform top via a 3/8-16 turnbolt below. Once you get used to doing it that way, it's nearly as fast, and far more secure and vibration-resistant, than any other method. After all, it's how early surveyors were routinely expected to do it for decades, even atop remote alpine summits. I even learned the method using an antique brass transit and its weather-beaten maple tripod. My dad used that very setup as an official surveyor back during the Grand Coulee Dam project; and they had to work according far more accurate alignment standards than any typical photographer, and do so quickly and efficiently.