Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Discussion on Tripod Heads for 8x10

Re: Discussion on Tripod Heads for 8x10

Hugo, thank you for the clarification. Foba is now back on the list! The list now consists of FLM, Ries, Foba, Berlebach and a Leofoto because up until this point, it is the only carbon fiber tripod I have seen with a 100mm apex without having to add an attachment like a bowl, or half ball to increase apex diameter for greater stability. This tripod can be found here:

https://leofoto.com/products_detail.php?id=375

It is also reasonably priced!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by zbvision View Post
    "Carbon fiber tripods are not meant for formats larger than 4x5, any format larger and you are bound to get motion blur on your film."
    What an absolute load of bullshit.

I use both Manfrotto and Leofoto CF tripods with Mt 7x17 with 210mm Super Angulon on a Majestic head -no issue.

At best, I think he’s like a Ferrari salesman telling you Aston Martins and Lambos are no good. At worst, he’s duplicitous snake oil salesman.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	076C0506-D645-4EA0-85E5-2871DE066D79.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	234983
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

It might be the same Ries employee I talked to. I think he believes what he says. When I talked to him he told me about rosewood tripods having just been put on sale so I bought the rosewood tripod for less money than the custom height "normal" wood tripod I had called about. I agree though, if you've handled an RRS series 4 tripod or similar heavy-duty carbon fiber tripod, you wouldn't be worried about it not being rigid enough (the Ries is very nice but I don't see it being more stable than the RRS series 4).

Unfortunately, RRS stopped making their series 4 (Probably very few people found the 3 series wasn't rigid enough). The 4 had a larger crown and a larger leveling head than the 3 series. A camera mounted on the 4 series leveling head puts the mass of the camera as low as possible. I haven't compared them carefully, but I believe the legs of the 4 are spaced further apart at the crown than the legs of the Ries J100-2 adding to the relative stability of the RRS series 4.

I agree with what others had said, for a monorail the width of the platform on the tripod doesn't need to be bigger than the mounting surface of the rail support which is typically pretty small. However, having the legs spaced far apart at the attachment point makes the setup feel more stable to me ( Norma 8x10 on RRS series 4 )

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post

At best, I think he’s like a Ferrari salesman telling you Aston Martins and Lambos are no good. At worst, he’s duplicitous snake oil salesman.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I disagree with 2d to last sentence. For a heavy 8x10 monorail you need to use 2 rail clamps for maximum stability. I mount my Toyo 810G on a Series-5 Gitzo G1500 tripod with Gitzo G1570M Rationelle head by placing each block at opposite ends of the head with a 3/8" screw. I found the tripod/head for just $250 in excellent to mint- condition from an art student in the Forum's classified.

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I disagree with 2d to last sentence. For a heavy 8x10 monorail you need to use 2 rail clamps for maximum stability. I mount my Toyo 810G on a Series-5 Gitzo G1500 tripod with Gitzo G1570M Rationelle head by placing each block at opposite ends of the head with a 3/8" screw. I found the tripod/head for just $250 in excellent to mint- condition from an art student in the Forum's classified.
    Tin Can

I use both Manfrotto and Leofoto CF tripods with Mt 7x17 with 210mm Super Angulon on a Majestic head -no issue.

I just acquired that same Manfrotto CF tripod. It is very capable with the Toyo810M field camera and even my longest lens a 450/9 Nikkor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    It might be the same Ries employee I talked to. I think he believes what he says. )
    My retort to the Ries rep on the phone was, "well I am not Ansel Adams. I do not have a donkey nor do I have camera assistants who haul my gear for me. I am my own donkey so I need to cut overall kit weight when and where possible." Using a Ries head on a stable CF tripod cuts the tripod weight by a half. He still wanted to continue to rant about how I was wrong for even suggesting that and how I needed a wooden tripod or the images I attempt to create would never turn out sharp. At the very end of the call he even tried to make the sell right then and there when I told him on the front end that I was still looking at other options. It was exorbitant and left me contemplating whether I should even be giving them my business at all, though to be fair, I have heard good things about Ries and the company as a whole from other members on the forum here.

Switching gears, Lachlan, what do you think of your Majestic head? Is it the one with a 6x7 inch platform? Would that type of platform be overkill for a Deardorff v8? My only issue with the Majestic head is that the platform the v8 would rest on would be further away from the tripod apex and could have the potential to make it less stable than the Ries A200/250. Anyone out there tried Luland's LD115-P or TH-150 on a heavy weight 8x10 field and loved it?
    Last edited by zbvision; 26-Jan-2023 at 18:01.