Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Tripod Heads for 8x10

Discussion on Tripod Heads for 8x10

I have 2 to 3 ideas for what the ideal head would be. Before i pull the trigger and commit to tripod head with my funds, I would like to see what the community thought of the pros and cons of each setup.

Heavy 8x10 Camera monorail with extensions.
    mostly portrait work or landscapes or cityscapes.
    Tripod is a second hand Gitzo Systematic series 4

Head (1) To use one of the Ries heads.

This should give the most flexibility being able to adjust of two different axis. It will also be the best option for when I need to shoot straight down.

Head (2) 75mm bowl adapter, with 75mm bowl and a clamp.

This should be more sturdy because the camera has a centre of gravity that is closer to the base of the plate. I won't get as much movement, but plenty to shoot up or down. I also think this will be much lower profile and wont get caught on trees or bus doors as easily.

Head (3) combines both. Leveling base with ries heads

I can use the 75mm bowl to make sure the camera is completely zeroed out before deciding my movements.

What are your thoughts on these combinations?

Re: Discussion on Tripod Heads for 8x10

You might consider a high quality fluid head. See this post: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1618551

Quality brands include Miller, Cartoni and Sachtler, made in Australia, Italy and Costa Rica respectively. OConnor fluid heads are brilliant, but OConnor stopped making heads for lighter cameras several years ago, so you'd be looking at the used market. Sachtler and OConnor are both owned by the Vitec Group. Vitec also owns Gitzo and another well-regarded maker of fluid heads, Vinten.

Currently I use a FLM tripod with a Ries head and a 100mm bowl. Handles my 11x14 camera with ease.

I use my Sachtler with only 75mm bowl and an Arca-clamp at the moment. Considering adding a 15 or 30 degrees angle clamp of some sort.

My Manfrotto 055 has an Arca Z1 dp, this is also used for medium format.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

I also use use FLM with 100mm bowl, if I need more movement I add a Sinar head

I have very old wood Sachtler movie camera sticks, with dolly and 150 mm bowl

However if mounting a Horseman 8X10 I prefer Majestic head and tripod
    Tin Can

Lachlan 717

Majestic with as big a plate as you can find.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

and the 6x7" Majestic head easily allows two OE 3/8-16 spring loaded screws for anti rotation

I bought the last two 3/8-16 screws in box from the last factory/warehouse last decade

I even worked in the bigger Northbrook IL factory for a short time as teenager

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Majestic with as big a plate as you can find.
    Tin Can

I’ve got a big Gitzo 4.

Drew Wiley

The best head is NO head. I gave up on them for view camera usage, especially 8x10, decades ago, and have never looked back. They're just redundant extra weight and increased vibration and wobble vulnerability. If you need to shoot straight down, a solid right angle bracket will do the job better at a fraction of the weight. And don't claim it's impossible to adjust things that way. Early surveyors were routinely required to level tripods that way even atop remote peaks, and to accuracy standards exceeding photographic compositions.
    I've done it with various view cameras in precarious places so many times I can't even remember them all. It becomes instinctive and fast with practice.

Drew makes a good point.
    Very often I fine-tune my camera position by adjusting tripod legs, instead of messing around with head controls.
    Next step is to get rid of the head