Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 98

Thread: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

  1. #71

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,336

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    Quote Originally Posted by arthur berger View Post
    I just checked my 110 xl lens which I purchased new From Badger, I can’t remember when, however the serial number indicates that it was made between 1998 and 1999. It looks good and is my wide lens for 5x7. When I bought it I was concerned about filters touching the front element, so I had SK Grimes make a very thin 67mm to 67 mm ring that I have always kept on the lens as a spacer.
    Hi Arthur,

    If you use a centre filter, are you using the spacer with it? Do you recall, roughly, what SK Grimes charged for the spacer?

  2. #72

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,140

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    Fixed.

    Bernice

    Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Hi Bernice,
    Your photos just above (post #66) aren't showing as thumbnails, and the links aren't working.

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,140

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    67mm filter space can be made using an old style 67mm filter that uses a threaded retainer. Unscrew the threaded filter retainer ring does it.

    Bernice


    Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Do you recall, roughly, what SK Grimes charged for the spacer?

  4. #74

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,336

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    FYI, Schneider lens size comparison:

    150mm f5.6 SSXL -vs- 165mm f8 Super Angulon (barrel for Sinar) -vs- 165mm f6.8 Angulon.
    Attachment 220642
    That photo certainly paints a picture.

    Unless it's quite a bit less expensive in comparison, is there any argument for the 165mm Super-Angulon over the 150mm XL?

    The differences in focal length, angle of coverage and image circle are insignificant, at least for my purposes.

    Weight
    Super-Angulon 165mm with shutter: 1605g/3.54lb
    XL 150mm: 740g/1.63lb

    Shutter
    Super-Angulon 165mm: Copal 3
    XL 150mm: Copal 1

    Maximum Aperture
    Super-Angulon 165mm: f/8
    XL 150mm: f/5.6

    Centre Filter Street Price New
    Super-Angulon 165mm: $1080 (unique to this lens and probably uncommon used)
    XL 150mm: $430

    Filter Requirements
    Super-Angulon 165mm: 110mm (125mm with centre filter fitted)
    XL 150mm: 95mm (112mm with centre filter fitted)

    Comparison of all the specs is in the Chart attached to post #52.
    Last edited by r.e.; 23-Oct-2021 at 19:29. Reason: Added a reference to the Chart in post #52.

  5. #75

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,140

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    Or why Schneider stopped the 165mm f8 Super Angulon not long after the 150mm f5.6 SSXL _ which is simply a better lens in every way.

    The 165mm f8 SA has been made for decades, initially single AR coated, then later versions became Multi-Coated. Later MC versions do have higher contrast rendition and all that, still it is a whopper of a lens. $ on the used market is likely the only significant advantage the 165mm f8 has over the 150mm f5.6 SSXL.

    Due to the current fashion of 8x10 view camera and sheet film, the market $ of these wide angle lenses continue to grow.


    Bernice


    Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    That photo certainly paints a picture.

    Unless it's quite a bit less expensive in comparison, is there any argument for the 165mm Super-Angulon over the 150mm XL?

    The differences in focal length, angle of coverage and image circle are insignificant, at least for my purposes.

    Weight
    Super-Angulon 165mm with shutter: 1605g/3.54lb
    XL 150mm: 740g/1.63lb

    Shutter
    Super-Angulon 165mm: Copal 3
    XL 150mm: Copal 1

    Maximum Aperture
    Super-Angulon 165mm: f/8
    XL 150mm: f/5.6

    Centre Filter Street Price New
    Super-Angulon 165mm: $1080 (unique to this lens and probably uncommon used)
    XL 150mm: $430

    Filter Requirements
    Super-Angulon 165mm: 110mm (125mm with centre filter fitted)
    XL 150mm: 95mm (112mm with centre filter fitted)

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,336

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    Follow-up... I went with the Schneider Super-Symmar XL f/5.6 150mm and Schneider's 4a centre filter. The one downside is that the centre filter has an outside thread of 112mm. However, I've been able to obtain a good 112mm polariser at an attractive price, so it's a start.

    I got some great advice in this thread, for which I'd like to thank everyone who contributed.

  7. #77

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    346

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Follow-up... I went with the Schneider Super-Symmar XL f/5.6 150mm and Schneider's 4a centre filter. The one downside is that the centre filter has an outside thread of 112mm. However, I've been able to obtain a good 112mm polariser at an attractive price, so it's a start.

    I got some great advice in this thread, for which I'd like to thank everyone who contributed.
    Late version of the S SS-XL has 62mm threads on the back for filters. Early version need a Snap-on filter holder from SKGRIMES.COM or glue on a modified 62mm filter ring - without the threads.

    Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

  8. #78

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,336

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Late version of the S SS-XL has 62mm threads on the back for filters. Early version need a Snap-on filter holder from SKGRIMES.COM or glue on a modified 62mm filter ring - without the threads.
    I haven't used filtration on a rear element, but my impression is that it tends to be problematic unless you're just using colour correction gels. If you're using a gel, I would think that it's easier to use it on the front. I mostly use a polariser for reflections and neutral density filters. I don't think that trying to use a polariser on a rear element would be a fun way to spend time. Nor would focusing the camera after screwing an ND filter onto the rear element (to avoid focus shift), although depending on the light maybe a couple of stops might not interfere with focusing too much. Anyway, can't hurt to try it.

  9. #79

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newbury, Vermont
    Posts
    1,546

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    As much as I find myself enjoying my recently-acquired 110XL (mainly for 5x7)...I still cannot seem to let go of my 120mm f/8 Super Angulon - despite its being twice as large and half as bright as the newer, "better" lens. Something about the geometry of the SA's rendering I think, perhaps as this relates specifically to 5x7, but might be more than this. Interesting.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sheridan, Colorado
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Wide Lenses for 4x5 & 8x10: 90mm to 165mm

    Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I don't think that trying to use a polariser on a rear element would be a fun way to spend time.
    I haven't had any trouble using a polarizer (and any filter!) on the rear of my Mamiya 37mm fisheye -- that's the only place I can put filters. Haven't had any problem with focus shift either.

Similar Threads

  1. Preferences for 150-165mm lenses in 8x10?
    By interneg in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2021, 10:55
  2. Options for 190mm- 210mm wide lenses that cover 8x10 WIDE OPEN
    By wuckyboy in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 16-May-2019, 00:47
  3. 8x10 lenses, 150-165mm
    By Mark Sawyer in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2005, 22:43

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •