Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Rodenstock Centre Filter on a Schneider Lens?

Using a Rodenstock Centre Filter on a Schneider Lens?

I have a Rodenstock E67/86 0.45 ND centre filter, which is recommended for Rodenstock lenses that take 67mm filters. I'm considering the purchase of a Schneider Super-Symmar XL f/5.6 110mm lens, which takes 67mm filters. Schneider's recommended centre filter is its IIIb/3b, but my Rodenstock E67 will fit. Is there any downside to using my E67 instead of Schneider's IIIb? Can I use the Rodenstock E67 with any Schneider lens that has 67mm threads?

This question about mixing brands came up 11 years ago, as it happens in a discussion about this very 110mm lens. My read of the following post by Bob Salomon is that Rodenstock's E67 centre filter will work fine with this lens, perhaps even slightly better than Schneider's IIIb. Correct, or am I missing something?

I don't think you will find many people, if any, who have actually used all 3 [Heliopan, Rodenstock and Schneider centre filters] on the same lens with the same film at the same time who could answer your question.

We are in a unique position. We are the Heliopan and the Rodenstock importer and also the Linhof importer. As such we import the Heliopan and Rodenstock ceter filters as well as Schneider ones for the 58 through 90mm XL lenses we sell.

WE HAD THE SAME QUESTION.

The editor of Shutterbug prior to Bob Shell was an extremely knowlgeable photographer named Lief Erickson (tragically died too early) and he too had this question.

So he took the Linhof Technorama 617 and the old Fuji 617 with a Schneider, Rodenstock and heliopan center filter for a test.

He found no difference on film between them.

However that was before Rodenstock redesigned their center filters.

No center filter is totally neutral. They tend to shift torwards green under cetain conditions. The latest version of the Rodenstock ones are the most neutral of all center filters.

Rodenstock does publish an interesting 2 page sheet on center filters and there use which we would gladly MAIL to anyone in the U.S. who would like it. Simply send a request in info@hpmarketingcorp.com and request it. If you ask Rodenstock for it they will forward the request to the same address so your direct request would be the fastest.

Link to the thread containing Bob's post: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...all-off-110-XL

Lachlan 717

Re: Using a Rodenstock Centre Filter on a Schneider Lens?

Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Thanks, glad I asked the question

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    There are a few threads that discuss the issue that Lachlan raises; namely, that some filters can come into contact with the front element of Schneider's Super-Symmar XL f/5.6 110mm. A few solutions are proposed. This afternoon, I came across an additional possible solution. Fotodiox sells a 67mm to 67mm spacer that may fix this if the problem arises. Cost is only US$7.00. See screen capture below from Amazon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 7.24.15 PM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	220486

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    There are a few threads that discuss the issue that Lachlan raises; namely, that some filters can come into contact with the front element of Schneider's Super-Symmar XL f/5.6 110mm. A few solutions are proposed. This afternoon, I came across an additional possible solution. Fotodiox sells a 67mm to 67mm spacer that may fix this if the problem arises. Cost is only US$7.00. See screen capture below from Amazon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 7.24.15 PM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	220486
    That is just an empty 67mm filter ring. Much too thick for the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That is just an empty 67mm filter ring. Much too thick for the problem.
    Hi Bob,

I assume that Schneider's IIIb centre filter doesn't cause this problem. Do you have a sense of whether Rodenstock's E67/86 centre filter would also work with respect to clearance, or is this something that I'd just have to try?

The suggested solutions in earlier threads mostly recommend popping out the glass from an existing filter. As you say, this is more or less what the Fotodiox spacer does, except without destroying a filter. Another solution that's suggested - a step-up ring - isn't an option for a centre filter that has a 67mm rear thread.

Do you know of a solution that will clearly work? Presumably there's a line of filters that can be used with this lens without using a IIIb as an intermediary. Is there a way to use the ring from such a filter as an intermediary for other 67mm filters, or for the E67/86?

EDIT: I should note that if you look at the Fotodiox, it has male and female/inner and outer components. It isn't just a ring of uniform thickness: https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Spac...001G41YVS?th=1

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Hi Bob,

I assume that Schneider's IIIb centre filter doesn't cause this problem. Do you have a sense of whether Rodenstock's E67/86 centre filter would also work with respect to clearance, or is this something that I'd just have to try?

The suggested solutions in earlier threads mostly recommend popping out the glass from an existing filter. As you say, this is more or less what the Fotodiox spacer does, except without destroying a filter. Another solution that's suggested - a step-up ring - isn't an option for a centre filter that has a 67mm rear thread.

Do you know of a solution that will clearly work? Presumably there's a line of filters that can be used with this lens without using a IIIb as an intermediary. Is there a way to use the ring from such a filter as an intermediary for other 67mm filters, or for the E67/86?

EDIT: I should note that if you look at the Fotodiox, it has male and female/inner and outer components. It isn't just a ring of uniform thickness: https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Spac...001G41YVS?th=1
    It’s not a problem with Heliopan, Rodenstock or Schneider center filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It’s not a problem with Heliopan, Rodenstock or Schneider center filters.
    Thank you Bob. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Drew Wiley

Post omitted (my answers not welcome; but I was responding to Bob anyway).