Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem: Long Rail, Long Bellows... Is There a Solution to Use One Tripod

Re: Problem: Long Rail, Long Bellows... Is There a Solution to Use One Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Darragh View Post
    Further to Dan's suggestion

Robert Polidori using an Arca-Swiss 11x14 and two Magic Arms or similar in attached to the tripod.
    Cool photo, but the rig looks very unstable. Dead calm conditions, but otherwise? Can't tell what the tripod head is, but I'd want more mass under the rail - say a Ries dual tilt head, or a levelling base and mostly level from the legs. Plus some weight low to the ground. Looks like a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod with clamps to attach the Magic Arms to the short metal sleeves on the legs between the crown and the exposed carbon fibre.

Bright Tangerine in the U.K. has an arm called the Titan Arm that's a major improvement over Manfrotto's Magic Arm. Production is suspended because BT is working on a new version that's less complicated to produce, but Vistek in Toronto, where Kevin is, may rent the Titan Arm. However, at 11" it isn't long enough for a tripod head/rail that's as high as in the photo.

There's a Titan Arm in the photo below. Being Australian, you'll recognise the tripod head that it's mounted to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	220464

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    There's a Titan Arm in the photo below. Being Australian, you'll recognise the tripod head that it's mounted to.
    Don't know if any Australians are doing this, but Miller's fluid heads make great still camera supports. The Miller makes manipulating the camera in the first photo (Arca-Swiss F-Line, 4x5 configuration, 75mm lens) a snap, but it really comes into its own when I have the camera set up for 8x10 with a fair bit of bellows. With the head and camera balanced, the fluid head makes panning the 8x10 to set the angle to the subject a breeze; and tilting the camera up or down, at even pronounced angles, is effortless and precise.

The camera in the second photo is not locked down. The Miller head and camera are balanced, the camera was tilted to that position (can be done with one finger) and the camera will stay put at that angle by itself. As you may know, this is what makes it possible to have a shot in a movie that tilts up or down with the camera coming to a full stop and holding on the subject. One of the things that I like about this head is that it contributes some weight, helping stability. A Miller CX 6, it weighs 2.2kg (4.9lb). Load capacity is 0-12kg (0-26.5lb). Some fluid heads have a minimum weight for load for counterbalance reasons, but this one doesn't. It can be used with quite light cameras. The Cartoni Focus 22 fluid head in the video in post #6 has a minimum load of 3kg (6.6lb).

Name:	IMG_0915 (1).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	220465

Name:	miller-tilt-down.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	220467
    Last edited by r.e.; 17-Oct-2021 at 06:51.

This set up allows me to use a meter of bellows on my Plaubel Peco Profia 5x7. The tripod that supports the rig is a Gitzo 5G. Plaubel made an auxiliary standard to allow you to connect and support the two bellows. If there is not an auxiliary stand made by the camera manufacturer then a second front stand could be used in it's place.

Name:	Plaubel 5x7.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	220493

I made a long extension mount for my 810G using two 45G rail clamps on a wide base as Drew has described. It bolts securely to my Majestic Chicago pan head and my Hercules Industrial pan head with the same bolt pattern. Modern studio has pre-made "cheese plates" which could be used.
    https://modernstudio.com/collections/plates

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    I made a long extension mount for my 810G using two 45G rail clamps on a wide base as Drew has described. It bolts securely to my Majestic Chicago pan head and my Hercules Industrial pan head with the same bolt pattern. Modern studio has pre-made "cheese plates" which could be used.
    https://modernstudio.com/collections/plates

I have some of Modern's hardware, including its 10"x10" cheese plate, and I like the company's products. Just want to note that it's a fairly small company with almost no distribution outside California. Prices don't include shipping, which is fairly expensive. My recollection is that it offers a discount on one's first order that may cover the shipping cost.

If you're in Toronto, as @QEB is, I doubt that it makes economic sense to order from Modern. The film industry is very active in Toronto, so there are probably local options. Also, B&H carries Kupo's grip equipment, including its cheese plates. From what I've seen of Kupo products, I think that it's making good equipment at competitive prices. Pretty hard to mess up a cheese plate anyway

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've been using a Gitzo G1570M Rationelle head on a Gitzo G1500 Series 5 tripod for shooting with the Toyo 810G. The G1570M plate is large -~6"x4" (LW) and allows for 2 tripod clamps to be used which holds the camera securely but you have to allow for the vibration to die down before tripping the shutter. Gitzo discontinued the G1570M and as far as I know haven't replaced it with a head with that large (or, lengthwise, larger) plate. The Toyo long bellows is 1200mm but my longest lens is 760mm so I haven't had it extended beyond 800mm or so. The only thing I don't like about the G1570M is that you have to tighten the hell out it to keep it from sagging.

Thomas

Wow, thank you all so much for your time and help!!!
    You folks on here really care and share!

I'm not sure if I'm able to address everyone's input/help.

Drew Wiley, do you have a photo?

R.E., do you have a photo by chance also?

Neal Chaves, could I also trouble you for a photo?

So, this rig/setup would be used for in studio portraits. I know eventually, I will want to do closer than busk / head shots and I will need to use my long bellows.

Thanks everyone again!
    Have a lovely week
    Best Regards,
    Kevin H.

Drew Wiley

Sorry, I not currently able to post pictures. Maybe in the future. But there are obviously a lot of analogous ideas on this thread.

Oh, yes, thank you Dan and Mark!

I think I will try to look into the Magic Arms!

My camera does have three tripod clamps but would really like to avoid using two tripods!

Thanks again everyone!
    Have a great week!

https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/cros...-black-131ddb/

Something like this might work for you?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.