Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem: Long Rail, Long Bellows... Is There a Solution to Use One Tripod

Problem: Long Rail, Long Bellows... Is There a Solution to Use One Tripod

Greetings,

If one were to use a Toyo 810G with around 1 meter bellows extension, is there a way to use just one tripod?

I've been told one should use two tripods but I found this photo recently and I've also been wondering
    if there is commercially made component that will allow one to use one tripod...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot - 10_16_2021 , 1_03_52 PM.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	220440

Could one weld together thick round tubing into a very wide upside down triangle and the vertice that's is larger than 90 degrees
    have a component welded so it can attach to a tripod. Then the smaller than 90 degree vertices would have a way to attach
    to the rail clamps/mounts?

I guess two tripods is easiest in finding parts but for operation of the camera rig I would love to use my heavy and big Majestic tripod
    (Though if I have to use two tripods there is another Majestic for sale not too far from me home).

Thanks for reading this.
    Have a great weekend.
    Be well

Best Regards,
    Kevin H.

Re: Problem: Long Rail, Long Bellows... Is There a Solution to Use One Tripod

Well, the 8x10 in y'r photo is a Cambo and the tripod mounting block is Cambo's C378 monorail connector/double tripod mount. I'm not sure -- my ignorance is showing -- that there's anything like the C378 in the Toyo system.

Have you considered using something like a Manfrotto Magic Arm (or two) to tie your Toyo's rail to a tripod leg (or two)?

Drew Wiley

You use more than one rail clamp attached to a long uniting bar below. I happen to use Sinar monorails, and have their own dedicated accessory bar to do this. But I make my own out of 1x3 maple stock. The second secret is to bolt the bar itself securely down to a tripod PLATFORM top, not any flimsy intermediary. I fasten right down to the top platform of my Ries wooden tripod, itself maple. Very secure.

Yes you can try to use one tripod AND a light weight CF monopod to support the front.

I would consider using two slider stands, or a slider stand plus a tripod, to do this.

I have a Matthews slider stand like this one: https://www.filmtools.com/matthews-s...der-stand.html

It weighs 6.4kg (14lb) and has a 94cm (37") footprint. If you want more weight, just add sandbags to the legs.

The female receiver at the top of the stand is a Junior receiver, which is 1 1/8" in diameter. Easy to attach a steel plate with a male Junior pin on the bottom. Plates like this are available off the shelf.

Working height is 61cm-117cm (24"-46"). The stands can be mounted on a platform, such as apple boxes, for more height. There are other "Junior Stands" that will give one more working height than these, if desired.

I note from another post that you're in Toronto. I would think that all of the film production rental houses, and maybe a pro photo operation like Vistek, have these stands for rent.

If you aren't familiar with slider stands, that have many uses, but get their name as a support for camera sliders. This is a brief Matthews promo video:

Last edited by r.e.; 16-Oct-2021 at 17:57.

This Matthews video shows a cinematographer setting up a cinema camera and dolly on two of the company's slider stands:

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Yes you can try to use one tripod AND a light weight CF monopod to support the front.
    The attached photo shows Gitzo's most robust monopod mounted on a very sturdy Really Right Stuff ground tripod. I use this setup for some purposes, such as to support a binaural microphone as in the photo. Even with the tripod legs extended (they aren't in the photo), I don't think that it's as solid a support as I would want for the situation that @QEB is talking about.

Name:	Y20 M5 D11 Mon H18 #001.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	220458

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    The attached photo shows Gitzo's most robust monopod mounted on a very sturdy Really Right Stuff ground tripod. I use this setup for some purposes, such as to support a binaural microphone as in the photo. Even with the tripod legs extended (they aren't in the photo), I don't think that it's as solid a support as I would want for the situation that @QEB is talking about.

Attachment 220457
    I was talking about my real life experience using a 16x20 camera with a 750mm lens with a Sinar auto shutter. The tripod is Ries A with its 250A head. With wide angle and normal lenses with little or no wind, no front tripod/monopod support is needed. But when the camera bellows is fully stretched, some support under the front standard is a must. A carbon fiber monopod is very light and can keep the front still. Yes it has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I was talking about my real life experience using a 16x20 camera with a 750mm lens with a Sinar auto shutter. The tripod is Ries A with its 250A head. With wide angle and normal lenses with little or no wind, no front tripod/monopod support is needed. But when the camera bellows is fully stretched, some support under the front standard is a must. A carbon fiber monopod is very light and can keep the front still. Yes it has been done.
    Cool. I use a Fujinon 600mm C with an Arca-Swiss 8x10 monorail, as well as a Ries tripod with J 250 head, so I have a little real life experience myself

Based on Kevin's first post, he appears to want a very sturdy platform and I assume that he has his reasons. Not surprising, given that he's talking about 1,000mm of bellows. Maybe he's over-engineering, but I don't know anything about his project or the conditions under which he'll be shooting, so have no reason to believe that. One thing I do know is that rock solid is never a bad idea.

Further to Dan's suggestion

Robert Polidori using an Arca-Swiss 11x14 and two Magic Arms or similar in attached to the tripod.

Name:	robert-polidori.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	220463