Thread: Wet Scan Solutions

Wet Scan Solutions

Currently, I'm looking to do some wet scans with my Epson Perfection V850 using Gamblin Gamsol odorless mineral spirits. I would prefer to use other wetting solutions but since I'm based in Thailand I am unable locate any, apparently they're flamable and transport is difficult if not impossible.

My question is, what is a good cleaner to remove the mineral oil from the film without a risk of any damage? I've read in other forums that lighter fluid is a possibility. Would Zippo lighter fluid work okay to clean the mineral oil from the film?

Re: Wet Scan Solutions

I'm just starting to look at this myself. I got some Gamsol but thought that it was a bit oily and didn't evaporate so quickly. Reading around I found a recommendation of a standard low odour mineral spirit. I got some and did a quick wetting test on a piece on film comparing the two and the cheap mineral spirits dried off quickly and cleanly compared to the Gamsol. My understanding is that whatever fluid you use should dry off quickly without leaving a residue and the need to clean off.

Quote Originally Posted by richydicky View Post
    I'm just starting to look at this myself. I got some Gamsol but thought that it was a bit oily and didn't evaporate so quickly. Reading around I found a recommendation of a standard low odour mineral spirit. I got some and did a quick wetting test on a piece on film comparing the two and the cheap mineral spirits dried off quickly and cleanly compared to the Gamsol. My understanding is that whatever fluid you use should dry off quickly without leaving a residue and the need to clean off.
    What is it? "standard low odour mineral spirit"

I use gamsol (on V850 with the wet scanning accessory thing). You don’t need to wash it of, it simply dries away, it just takes longer than other fluids which is a good thing, it gives you more time to get organised.

Quote Originally Posted by _tf_ View Post
    I use gamsol (on V850 with the wet scanning accessory thing). You don’t need to wash it of, it simply dries away, it just takes longer than other fluids which is a good thing, it gives you more time to get organised.
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully and probably I've ordered the same stuff off of eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284482445499?var=586045529435

Cheers!

Don't know if it's available in your country, but I use PEC-12 and film specific wipes to clean my film when necessary.

Both solutions are cheaper at Amazon Prime
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Don't know if it's available in your country, but I use PEC-12 and film specific wipes to clean my film when necessary.
    Thanks, everyone, I was able to find a source to send the PEC-12 fluid. The PEC Pads were easy to obtain.