Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 210mm 4x5" ... Which one?

210mm 4x5" ... Which one?

Hi all
    I like focal length 210mm on 4x5" and I currently hold a Nikon W 210mm.
    I have found a very interesting Rodenstock Apo Sinaron SE 210mm.

My question is if I get something more with the rodenstock vs the Nikon.
    Pros and cons Rodenstock vs Nikon?

Thanks in advance.

Mario
    Mario

Re: 210mm 4x5" ... Which one?

Have you found any deficiencies with the Nikon lens?

You'll have a little more image circle with the Rodenstock (316mm vs 295mm), but not enough to matter for 4x5in film. I haven't compared your Nikkor W with the APO Sironar-S (which I do own, and like), but doubt the image quality differences between the two would be noticeable. If you expect to do much hiking for landscape pics with your 4x5 kit in a backpack, a different direction you might consider would be a good copy of the 200mm Nikkor M which is tiny and very light weight. It's also a good performer, but you sacrifice some image circle as it's 210mm (still decent for 4x5in films). ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    Have you found any deficiencies with the Nikon lens?
    No I didn't.

Mario
    Mario

IMO, you would be hard pressed to see any quality difference between any of the modern 210mm LF lenses. Nothing wrong with the Nikon 210mm. I would suggest you do a lot of shooting with it and only consider replacing it, if you find it doesn't meet your needs for some reason. FWIW, and I may not recall correctly, but I believe John Sexton used this very lens. I doubt anyone would question the quality of his prints.

The Sinaron-SE is identical with Apo-Sironar-S.

What Nikon? 77mm filter threads or smaller? The 77mm may vignette less with filters in use and large shift than the smaller.
    My 210mm is sharp all the way to the corner, I suspect you will not see difference between a 77mm Nikon and the Sinaron-SE/Sironar-S at f16 or smaller.

I sold my 240mm Sironar-N when I got hold of a Sironar-S, even if the -N is supposed to be sharper in the middle, and is smaller. I do expect it to be sharper in the corners and top of frame at f8 to f11 on the 8x10" film.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    The Sinaron-SE is identical with Apo-Sironar-S.

What Nikon? 77mm filter threads or smaller? The 77mm may vignette less with filters in use and large shift than the smaller.
    My 210mm is sharp all the way to the corner, I suspect you will not see difference between a 77mm Nikon and the Sinaron-SE/Sironar-S at f16 or smaller.

I sold my 240mm Sironar-N when I got hold of a Sironar-S, even if the -N is supposed to be sharper in the middle, and is smaller. I do expect it to be sharper in the corners and top of frame at f8 to f11 on the 8x10" film.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
    The N is not sharper in the middle. The S outperforms the N in all respects, resolution, less distortion, better color curves, etc. the only advantage of the N, to some users, is it’s smaller and lighter.

Nikon 210mm filter size 67mm

Mario
    Mario

I think that you'd be hard-pressed to see any differences between them in normal use. If you have an extremely precise camera, excellent technique, and a need to make enormous prints, the you might see differences.
    Remember, both lenses in question were top-of-the-line professional-grade optics, "flagship" products of two renowned optical companies.

Drew Wiley

I real-world usage, there's very little difference between any of them. The first decade of my own large format usage, all I owned was a 210 lens. But I currently now fill that particular niche a 200 Nikkor M instead, which is superb in every respect. No need to nitpick between them. Look at the more practical distinctions like weight, shutter and filter size, and cost factors instead. But any of the late 210's from the "big four" - Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji, or Nikon - are going to be excellent for most applications. As a backpacker, I personally place a premium on lens compactness, which doesn't necessarily imply any qualitative loss optically whatsoever. An especially compact 210 choice would be the Schneider G-Claron.