Like this Norma Drew..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar Norma_front CR.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	220425

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, again Sinar made it really easy to turn a spare or even worn out standard bellows into an excellent compendium shade using a rod and couple of clips. All kind of Sinar accessories might have been obscenely overpriced back in the day, but certainly aren't anymore. One can easily afford entire spare camera just to cannibalize them of components if necessary. .... But that TK is a beauty; only, my current camera girlfriend is called "Norma" - she's real pretty too.

Drew Wiley

Re: Inexpensive 4x5 field cameras

Yes, mine is black/deep green too. What a sweetie! But I routinely keep it equipped with an 18 inch rail, generally favoring long lenses. Plus I keep a compendium mounted on it ready to go. It's a fast system to work with. But I don't have a Sinar shutter (yet). It's been a long time since I've used my Sinar F2, and the P components never go outdoors. I like Miss Norma better.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Re the Intrepid 4x5, I think that Nejc (pronounced Nates) Urankar's video is informative. He's a fine arts student in Slovenia who has also started a business that makes and sells dry plates and dry plate holders:
    The mk iv is quite a bit improved, the focusing is done via a threaded rod, so doesn’t suffer from the issue he mentions, and also the controls for front rise and tilt are different shapes, so easy to tell apart by touch. There is no rare swing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by _tf_ View Post
    The mk iv is quite a bit improved, the focusing is done via a threaded rod, so doesn’t suffer from the issue he mentions, and also the controls for front rise and tilt are different shapes, so easy to tell apart by touch. There is no rare swing anymore.
    There's nothing wrong with the Intrepid 4x5, if budget is the issue. I won an early version of the 4x5 camera in a competition in 2018 and I have used and continue to use it as my sole 4x5 camera, and it works well. The newest iteration clearly has a lot of welcome improvements (as does the current 5x7, which I also own and like a lot), so I think you'd d0 well if you choose an Intrepid. Its very light weight makes it an easy camera to backpack with. Leaves plenty of room for lenses and film holders.

Three days before this thread, @Ben started a thread about choosing a 90mm lens, presumably for use with this camera. That raises the issue of ease of using the camera with a 90mm lens, and implications for bellows. My own comments on the issue are in the following post in his thread on choosing between Fujinon and Nikkor 90mm lenses: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1618424

FWIW this is Intrepid IV with 90mm just yesterday (S-K Super Angulon f8), front tilt swing and drop. It’s limited compared to a monorail, but fine for much of my landscape scenes.

Riverside by tthef, on Flickr

The great thing about a camera of the Intrepid’s weight is it can be adequately supported by a lighter tripod — stability is given not by camera weight but by the rigidity of the tripod relative to the weight you put on the top of it, if the tripod is rigid enough for the load it doesn’t matter that it’s light, you simply weight it down _from below_ when required with a bag of lenses or stones.

It’s not the only 4x5 I’d like to have, but it’s one I can wander around with for hours without doing my back in, it’s happy enough on tripod and head with a combined weight of 1.7kg.

FWIW this is Intrepid IV with 90mm just yesterday (S-K Super Angulon f8), front tilt swing and drop. It’s limited compared to a monorail, but fine for much of my landscape scenes.

Riverside by tthef, on Flickr

The great thing about a camera of the Intrepid’s weight is it can be adequately supported by a lighter tripod — stability is given not by camera weight but by the rigidity of the tripod relative to the weight you put on the top of it, if the tripod is rigid enough for the load it doesn’t matter that it’s light, you simply weight it down _from below_ when required with a bag of lenses or stones.

It’s not the only 4x5 I’d like to have, but it’s one I can wander around with for hours without doing my back in, it’s happy enough on tripod and head with a combined weight of 1.7kg.
    Nice shot! But no center filter?

Hi _tf_,

Great, a couple of questions. I've attached a screen capture of the Intrepid 4x5 Mark IV specs that show how much movement the camera allows. As I understand it, a bag bellows isn't available. How much of the camera's movement can be used with a 90mm lens? Are you using a recessed lens board?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 4.18.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	220452

Nice location and execution, but I really don't understand the obsession with the idea of having to use a long shutter time when photographing water so it doesn't look at all like water flowing.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Nice location and execution, but I really don't understand the obsession with the idea of having to use a long shutter time when photographing water so it doesn't look at all like water flowing.

For my part, I'd like to thank _tf_ for taking the time to respond to my post #25 immediately before his. I effectively asked how well the Intrepid camera and bellows handles a 90mm lens, as discussed in more detail in the link in my post. In his response, _tf_ offered a real life example and comments related to my question. I want to express my appreciation. It's not clear what your personal taste in photographs, and attendant criticism, has to do with the exchange, or indeed with this thread.