Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About red safelights. How much red is damaging for the paper

Re: About red safelights. How much red is damaging for the paper

About that "safelight window" idea...didn't Kodak do this to a rather large laboratory back in the day?

Yes on Day 6

I recently posted a book image of it

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    About that "safelight window" idea...didn't Kodak do this to a rather large laboratory back in the day?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Only reason is to have them last longer, never burn out vs 10 or 50 thousand hours. 12 volt seems to heat them a tiny bit too much in my taste. I could have used 10 or 11 volt, but that would be another, bigger power supply.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
    Hehe, alright
    Looks like mine won't make it to the 10~50k hours as were about to move to a different house so I'm going to redo everything anyway. Haven't decided yet on the new setup except that it's going to be all led again.

Thank you for your reply. Do you remeber by any chance the name of that Ilford exhibition with the darkroom and the window you mentioned? The year?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    The minimal experience I have had with a friend doing some videography in my darkroom, is that you will not get brilliant imagery, but quite reasonable imagery with Ilford 902 filters.

These are a light brown filter, the ones we used were 203x254mm filters at 1.2m from the paper with a 15W tungsten light globe as the light source. Tripod mounting the camera was another must I seem to remember. Smaller safelight filter sizes, even though they had the same light power source, were a bit harder for the camera to use.

Around 30 years ago at a photographic exhibition, Ilford Australia had a working darkroom on their stand. The darkroom had large plexiglass type windows covered in a rubylith type of material which allowed them to expose and develop paper while people stood outside and watched. I'm not saying it was brilliant, but for the purpose, which was to show darkroom developing, it was great.

You'll probably need to fudge it a bit though, think like a wildlife film maker, the animal being predated upon is one animal, while the animal shown grazing/feeding is often different but in the film shown to be the same animal.

Quote Originally Posted by CamiloRozo View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Do you remeber by any chance the name of that Ilford exhibition with the darkroom and the window you mentioned? The year?

Thanks again
    That was around 30 years ago, give or take. Plus, it was Ilford Australia, which no longer exists...

I would suggest you get in contact with Harmon, they own Ilford these days. I am sure they could give you some practical directions/information of how to achieve your desired outcome.

Anton Orlov has made a transparent camera he called "CLERA ". Made of dark red polycarbonate.

From Petapixel: "Orlov then set out to turn his camera idea into reality. What he ended up creating was a simple daguerreotype box camera with a 19th-century Petzval lens purchased on eBay, red sheets of a nearly indestructible polycarbonate, and a spare 4×5 camera back."

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Hi.

Where did you post it? I'm interested in seeing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Yes on Day 6

I recently posted a book image of it

Many papers are sensitive to the red part of the spectrum. You need to get safe light filters recommended for your favorite papers.

Can you name one B&W paper that is in current product and that's sensitive to red light? I can't think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Can you name one B&W paper that is in current product and that's sensitive to red light? I can't think of any.
    The Ilford/ Harman GDS papers (which most here are highly unlikely to use) are panchromatically sensitised. Otherwise, the only papers I can think of that are a bit more demanding about safelights are the Harman DPP and Fomabrom Variant - a deeper red than most use or a greater distance from safelight to paper (test to be sure!) are a good idea.