Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to keep film ending up wrong side of dark slide after exposing

Re: How to keep film ending up wrong side of dark slide after exposing

Quote Originally Posted by _tf_ View Post
    [snip]

One thing about loading film in a darkroom, be weary of forgotten red lights. I have a temperature sensor and a smoke alarm in there, and these have little red lights that occasionally flash. They are not a problem for working with B&W paper, though I cover the LEDs with a bit of black tape anyway. Turns out because the plastic housings are white this is not enough to achieve complete darkness, as I only discovered the first time loading 4x5 film.
    I had this problem with the controllers I use for air and tray development temperature control. Big bright 7-segment displays and white enclosures. Black plastic electrical tape is your friend here. I can even peel it back to make sure the temp is still set correctly.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    So, no matter how often I check to make sure film is inserted in film holder correctly, it never fails that one or two sheets end up on wrong side of dark slide after making an exposure. I check in the changing bag by completely removing the dark slide then reinserting it. They always fully seat, no indication that film is inserted wrong.

Yet, never fails that I remove dark slide, no indication something wrong, make exposure, reinsert slide and it either just won’t go in or goes in 99% of the way then binds up and i take out film in changing tent. If it was last shot of the day no harm no foul, but focus etc usually sucks. If it is in the middle of a shoot, then I just chalk up the loss of a sheet.

At 4-6 bucks a sheet it adds up if you avg 1 or 2 every 30 frames or so.

I use Toyo Cut film holders. Pretty nice ones however,

Is there a better holder that is essentially bulletproof for preventing this rather expensive annoyance?
    No 100% bullet proof method.

I too use Toyo film holders and until recently a Harrison Film Tent (10x8).

After pulling back the darkslide I locate the end of the film rails with my finger and thumb of my left hand, so when I feed the film into the film holder with my right hand, I can feel that the film is going under my fingers and hence under the rails.

After initial problems with incorrect loading of my film holders, I've loaded many thousands of sheets using my finger on the rails method without further problems.

I practiced in the light at first using a sacrificial sheet of film, followed by doing it with your eyes closed and finally in the dark - just like I learned how to load 35mm on to film reels - YMMD.

BTW - I don't find it easier to load film in the darkroom than when using a changing bag - just different.

Good luck.

Martin

After inserting the film, and before inserting the dark slide, I lift the end of the end of the film and feel the resistance which causes it to snap back into place. If not under both rails, it will lift out.

I am gonna have to just pay a bit more attention to loading the film. I am attentive to it, but I guess it happens sometimes.

The suggestions about using a fingernail to make sure the film is actually under both rails at the open and of the film holder are all good.

But I'll also second Alan Klein's note in Post #16 that if there is any resistance when pushing in the dark slide back in, then the film is not seated correctly. That has been my observation as well. There have been a few times when I've done the fingernail check (or thought I did), then inserted the dark slide and encountered resistance, then gone back and do the fingernail check again and lo and behold, the film was not under the rail.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Well, making anything 100% fool-proof only tempts nature to make more foolish fools.

But feeling for the end of the rails with one's finger tips after sliding the film in, is 99.999% fool proof (assuming one has the emulsion of the film up!)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Apparently there is, since it has never happened to me. I keep my left hand fingers on the end of the rails so I can feel the film going under and prevent it from going over. If I have any doubt, I can lift up on the film with the right hand. If it isn't under both rails, I will know immediately.

Now if we were talking about Midos...that's a different ball of wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Apparently there is, since it has never happened to me. I keep my left hand fingers on the end of the rails so I can feel the film going under and prevent it from going over. If I have any doubt, I can lift up on the film with the right hand. If it isn't under both rails, I will know immediately.

Now if we were talking about Midos...that's a different ball of wax.
    I do exactly what you suggested and I still end up with film jamming up the dark slide in field occasionally.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    I do exactly what you suggested and I still end up with film jamming up the dark slide in field occasionally.
    Bummer. Yer doing something wrong then!