Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to keep film ending up wrong side of dark slide after exposing

How to keep film ending up wrong side of dark slide after exposing

So, no matter how often I check to make sure film is inserted in film holder correctly, it never fails that one or two sheets end up on wrong side of dark slide after making an exposure. I check in the changing bag by completely removing the dark slide then reinserting it. They always fully seat, no indication that film is inserted wrong.

Yet, never fails that I remove dark slide, no indication something wrong, make exposure, reinsert slide and it either just won’t go in or goes in 99% of the way then binds up and i take out film in changing tent. If it was last shot of the day no harm no foul, but focus etc usually sucks. If it is in the middle of a shoot, then I just chalk up the loss of a sheet.

At 4-6 bucks a sheet it adds up if you avg 1 or 2 every 30 frames or so.

I use Toyo Cut film holders. Pretty nice ones however,

Is there a better holder that is essentially bulletproof for preventing this rather expensive annoyance?

Re: How to keep film ending up wrong side of dark slide after exposing

holders are all built to the same specifications. there's no reason that should be happening IF they're actually inserted properly.

Perhaps your film is curling from temp humidity or angle

You may need vacuum or adhesive

Drew or Bernice
    Tin Can

IT happens, usually due to shooting downward or improper loading. You could tilt the camera up so that the sheet falls back into the holder. It might be inconvenient if planning back up shots but saves money in the end. When loading, run your fingers along the edges to make sure the film is under the runners. Most of my holders also have 1/8" of play in them so I make sure the film can move end to end freely.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I have had that problem before myself. In every casse, it was my fault. Either the sheet was not slid under the retsining groove on both sides or, more rasrely, I had loaded one sheet on top of another. . . .partially.

The only cure is to use casre in loading.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

it happens. for years i have been wanting to get a cheap night vission goggle so i can actually keep my eyes open in the dark. im sure that would eliminate alot of loading and unloading problems.

Quadruple checking while loading is my approach. First double check is when I think the film is under both side rails, but before sliding the sheet the rest of the way in, I try to lift the film at the edges to see if it is held fast on both edges of the holder. Second double check is after the sheet is fully inserted, I move my finger to each side of the holder at the top to try to lift the sheet. if it is inserted properly the film promptly "flaps" down because it is under the side rail. If the sheet pulls up then I know it isn't properly under the side rail.

Reread, he checks

He knows if his weapon is loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    So, no matter how often I check to make sure film is inserted in film holder correctly, it never fails that one or two sheets end up on wrong side of dark slide after making an exposure. I check in the changing bag by completely removing the dark slide then reinserting it. They always fully seat, no indication that film is inserted wrong.

Yet, never fails that I remove dark slide, no indication something wrong, make exposure, reinsert slide and it either just won’t go in or goes in 99% of the way then binds up and i take out film in changing tent. If it was last shot of the day no harm no foul, but focus etc usually sucks. If it is in the middle of a shoot, then I just chalk up the loss of a sheet.

At 4-6 bucks a sheet it adds up if you avg 1 or 2 every 30 frames or so.

I use Toyo Cut film holders. Pretty nice ones however,

Is there a better holder that is essentially bulletproof for preventing this rather expensive annoyance?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Reread, he checks

He knows if his weapon is loaded
    Pulling and reinserting the dark slide is not the best way to check, so I am offering a better check on film loading.

I have had film of questionable origins that was cut just enough too small to be able to pop out from under the rails.
    I don’t buy that film anymore.