Thread: Location of Linhof Technica Serial Number

Location of Linhof Technica Serial Number

Help on finding the age of a Linhoff Technica 4 x 5 field camera. Where can I find the serial number on a Linhoff Technica. The one that I am looking at has the number 511112 on the Tripod attachment plate. Where can I find a list of years for the serial numbers? Thanks

It sounds like you've found it but FWIW it should also be on on the accessory shoe if you have a Technika IV or later model Technika (it may be on the Tech III accessory shoe also but I'm not sure, I've never owned a Tech III). That's not a totally foolproof source since people do occasionally lose and replace accessory shoes but usually it will be right. With respect to age of your camera, there isn't any source on the web that I know of. However, Bob Salomon of HP Marketing often responds here to questions like yours. If he doesn't give him a call. Sorry I don't have a phone number but if someone else doesn't provide it you can Google for HP Marketing and it should pop up.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The one on the auction site is a Master Technika. Short of a direct response by Mr. Solomon, a search on this forum (serial #) should get you in the ballpark. Also the listing by Ed above, should confirm its a Master Technika.

There should be either one more number or a letter. Otherwise there is no listing for this number on a camera made since WW II.

Thanks for your help, I'll follow up with the seller to look on the accessory shoe and also to see if there is another number or letter per the Bob Salomon reply. Steve

I haven't read the CameraQuest article in detail in a while but I don't recall anything in it like a list of years by serial number. Did I just miss it? It isn't difficult to determine whether a Technika is a Master or not, all you have to do is see if the rear housing has a flap at the top, but since Masters have been manufactured since the early 1970s just knowing it's a Master isn't much help in determining the year of manufacture.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.