Thread: Durst Taucoli Cold Light.

Durst Taucoli Cold Light.

Hi
    I picked up a Durst 1200 with a Taucoli light. I have no experience with this type of light sauce and was wondering what are the characteristics of this type of light eg. How does it go with graded paper and multi grade paper using Ilford contrast filters. Would it be better for masking than a condenser enlarger, or any benefits?
    I currently am using a Durst 1000 with a condenser head with a full set of condenser lenses.
    LF enlarger rarely come on the market locally here and even more rarer to be in working order. Both will go into my new darkroom ....and you can't have enough enlargers. May be sometime before I can use.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20211004_110502.jpg   IMG_20211004_110328.jpg  

Re: Durst Taucoli Cold Light.

awty, I found a PDF of a xerox of the manual in a quick search but didn't go through it. It mentions cold cathode head. If it's just that and not VC capable, I'll venture a guess that it's similar to the standard Aristo heads of yore. With Ilford, I find no problem in getting a god contrast range. I'm tussling a bit with Foma, but several variables are involved, so it will be a few weekends of working to figure them out. Others report no difficulty.

You probably know that the principal difference between results from condenser and diffusion sources is a higher contrast from silver negs with condensers, all other things being equal, due to the Callier effect. With smaller formats, in which grain is apparent in the print, grain is also emphasized. some who have tested both enlarger types side by side say that equalizing contrast is simply a matter of adjustment in film development and/or paper grade.

I hope this helps.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I get accused of HOARDING enlargers NOBODY wanted not that long ago

Judge not

Keep it up Awty!
    Tin Can

Judging from the photos in your post, the cold-light head seems to give a cyan-colored light, which would make it similar to the Arista V54 heads intended for VC papers. (It may even have been manufactured by Arista - not sure.)

At any rate, just about any old cold-light source will work with VC papers, even if the contrast range is not quite so great and the filter spacing is a bit uneven. FWIW, I printed on VC with a regular white cold-light head for years with great results.

Get to printing!

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    awty, I found a PDF of a xerox of the manual in a quick search but didn't go through it. It mentions cold cathode head. If it's just that and not VC capable, I'll venture a guess that it's similar to the standard Aristo heads of yore. With Ilford, I find no problem in getting a god contrast range. I'm tussling a bit with Foma, but several variables are involved, so it will be a few weekends of working to figure them out. Others report no difficulty.

You probably know that the principal difference between results from condenser and diffusion sources is a higher contrast from silver negs with condensers, all other things being equal, due to the Callier effect. With smaller formats, in which grain is apparent in the print, grain is also emphasized. some who have tested both enlarger types side by side say that equalizing contrast is simply a matter of adjustment in film development and/or paper grade.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks, can you please give me a link to the pdf as I can't seem to find it.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Judging from the photos in your post, the cold-light head seems to give a cyan-colored light, which would make it similar to the Arista V54 heads intended for VC papers. (It may even have been manufactured by Arista - not sure.)

At any rate, just about any old cold-light source will work with VC papers, even if the contrast range is not quite so great and the filter spacing is a bit uneven. FWIW, I printed on VC with a regular white cold-light head for years with great results.

Get to printing!

Doremus
    Thanks, guess best to try for myself and see what will be the best option.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I get accused of HOARDING enlargers NOBODY wanted not that long ago

Judge not

Keep it up Awty!
    I thought my wife would be excited about my enlarger, but she informs me that's not not the enlarger she meant.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by awty View Post
    i thought my wife would be excited about my enlarger, but she informs me that's not not the enlarger she meant.
    lol
    Tin Can

Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/