Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

Re: Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Looks like an interesting company: Gibellini Camera History
    Interesting. While the description says he was building a monorail, the photo definitely shows a flatbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I received this email from freestyle that made me wonder, does it make sense to produce new $20K 8x10 cameras at this day and age?

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/39208...Black-Titanium

Is there really such a market?

(no affiliation here)
    I suppose it makes as sense as a $10K "umbrella".

Drew Wiley

Don't get on the subject of women's shoes or handbags. Maybe a Gucci labeled reflector umbrella isn't so overpriced after all.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    Has no one brought up the threads in this forum regarding Gibellini? Their craftsmanship is trash. Their ultra expensive 8x10 holders didn't even fit in my Chamonix 810V. The camera they sold me had light leaks from day 1 and required 2 factory trips from Maine to Italy to fix it. They didn't cover my shipping costs by the way. Of course they have a 20k titanium camera that no one will buy, if someone actually buys it they will find out how deficient it is.
    I once watched on YouTube a new Gibellini 5x7 unboxing and the dude found light leaks right the way. I remember saying to myself, "For such an expensive camera? For real?" Too bad I can can't find the video now.
    Last edited by Tom-Thomas; 3-Nov-2021 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Thomas View Post
    I once watched on YouTube a new Gibellini 5x7 unboxing and the dude found light leaks right the way. I remember saying to myself, "For such an expensive camera? For real?" Too bad I can find the video now.

For items like this ( even for a way cheaper intrepid, or for that matter all products that are not mass produced ) I expect the company to have someone double checking everything calculated into the price of the item. But from all the reports on this forum it looks like most company have big problems archiving some kind of decent quality control.
    I honestly don't understand how a camera can get shipped out with such obvious problems. Charge whatever it takes to double check every item more and let every item be fully checked right before it gets packaged.
    Even when the customer support is great ( wich I also expect from every company but company's also seem to lack often ), that isn't worth anything when I have to send the item back multiple times.
    Not to speak about a item that is positioned as a luxury item in the marked. Having good customer support and quality control is the lowest acceptable mark for every item, a luxury item should exceed that by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Thomas View Post
    I once watched on YouTube a new Gibellini 5x7 unboxing and the dude found light leaks right the way. I remember saying to myself, "For such an expensive camera? For real?" Too bad I can can't find the video now.
    Sounds right for Gibellini. They ship whatever and don’t care.