Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

Re: Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

Envy
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Envy
    Nah, foolish... Wanna see my bellows extension??? :-]

Steve K

Bellows age poorly

and we cannot take anything on our final journey

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Nah, foolish... Wanna see my bellows extension??? :-]

Steve K
    Tin Can

I think it all makes sense if Gibellini fabricates one camera to show off, and then others to be built one by one as orders are placed for them. At 20K per camera, makes total business sense to me. Reminds me of a craftsman/photographer/machinist who did essentially the same about 10 or 20 years ago here in the states.

Inevitably in any fancy gear thread someone will make this “Weston argument”. Come on, that’s not the point. Sure, it’s good to keep some perspective on all of this stuff (George Tice has been using the same clunker Deardorff for over 50 years), but so what?

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    That teaser with the paparazzi flashing and smoke is really over the top... Do anything for anyone here??? ;-)

Ah, go to a golf klub and watch them polish up those mega $$$ clubs, and still shoot so-so... A pro would be able to buy a set of old clubs at the church bazaar, thrift etc and shoot the pants off of those braggers on the greens...

Me figures its bragging rights, "golden parachute" recipients, or some who gamble against themselves by plunking a wad of cash down betting they will come out ahead if they bet their fortune on their "investment"... ("Go Big"!!!)

Others buy cars that can do 180mph+ and drive to the market or bar... Dreaming of a blonde in the passenger seat... ;-)

In Weston's Daybooks, he wrote somewhere about his cameras getting old and wished he could send them in for an overhaul... (And that was then!!!) Anyone doing better than a Weston these days???

Steve K

Has no one brought up the threads in this forum regarding Gibellini? Their craftsmanship is trash. Their ultra expensive 8x10 holders didn't even fit in my Chamonix 810V. The camera they sold me had light leaks from day 1 and required 2 factory trips from Maine to Italy to fix it. They didn't cover my shipping costs by the way. Of course they have a 20k titanium camera that no one will buy, if someone actually buys it they will find out how deficient it is.

Heiland is going to sell their 810 enlarger for about $22k, but it's state of the art, motorized, and from a trusted company. They'll probably find a small but enthusiastic number of buyers. This Gibellini thing? Yeah right. Maybe the kid of some billionaire will blow his allowance on it and leave it on a shelf....

Meh.. more marketing horse puckey prompted by the current fashion of LF & the idea-belief 8x10 IS the ultimate film format...

Absolutely zero difference in common with other stratospheric $ "limited production" exotic cars, furniture, techno-widgets all objects to project wretched excess of conspicuous consumption.

In this specific case this beyond over priced 8x10 field folder can never produce a "better" picture on it's own, but can provide the user-owner of this field folder with the fantasy of superiority over all "lesser" cameras, no?

Regardless of the Titanium and what ever else precious metals or ... used to make this "camera", it remains a light tight box that is flexi in the center.. field folder style with each and every limitation baked into each and every field folder style view camera.

Bernice

(Shrek)

Why not make a lf camera status symbol? They exist in every other format. And judging from what I see on the roads around town, and advertising, there's a lot of people with too much money buying luxury cars and watches and scotch whiskys and whatnot. We're still in the 'K-shape' recession recovery from 2008, where the top is gaining rapidly while the bottom is still falling. There's no point making new cameras for the working class who can barely afford a phone.

As I come nearer to 70 I care more about functionality. I don't go that far from the car anymore with 8x10". So now I use the Sinar P2 in the field, 10 yards from the car. And I shoot about 20 images a year. That forbids for me any new camera in this format. Once for my business, now for pleasure, all those years still the same machine. How it looks doesn't matter to me, if it works, it's fine. They could never sell me a camera on looks. So this one, easy to let it go by.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ... I prefer my simplified bare bones un-pretty 8X10 Phillips ...
    Probably the most desirable, innovative and expensive camera ever produced in the USA....